1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scrap metal

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Mar 8, 2006.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Well I turned in my scrap copper and brass today. $394!!! :cool2:

Part of the money is going to my employee as a bonus. I told him last fall I'd split it with him. It's 2 years worth of junk and a pain in the *** to deal with. We took sometime to gut everything, removing the plastic, steel, etc from the bras to make it worth more. I think I will tell him if he wants to keep it all and turn it in this year, it's all his.
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The funny thing is the only scrap we have from last year is one cracked PVB.

No copper here, and almost no PVB's.
  3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, I prefer something along the lines of soft and warm inside a bra. :laugh:
  4. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

how big was your pile? Was it worth it?

I started saving all the cracked PVBs and copper to turn in but it got to be too big of a hassle... I didn't think it was worth it.
  5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I had three HEAVY 5 gallon buckets of brass. Ball valves, PVB and RP bodies, old heads, a few valves. Weighed over 200 lbs. for three buckets. I think it was about $1.00 a lb. for that.

One 5 gallon bucket overflowing with copper. A lot of pieces sticking up out of the bucket. I think that was $1.20 a lb.

And another bucket with crap brass and copper. This was stuff that I didn't feel like taking apart. To get the best $$ you have to take the ball valves apart and take out the steel ball inside as well as the nylon/vinyl/whatever material seat also inside. Remove the handles as well. Take out all the internals in a BF - check valves, springs, etc. Solenoids, springs, diaphragms from the valves.

Honestly, not really worth it to me. I took a bunch of time, probably 4-5 hours to tear things apart. This is why I'm going to tell me employee if he wants to deal with it from now on, it's all his. He can keep it all at his place and tear it apart.
  6. 4-5 hours almost 400 bucks.....you made more than you would doing repairs ;)

Give it all to me...I'll do it..
  7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't mention it was also 4-5 hours of Tom helping me while he was on the clock. And like I mentiond, I told him I'd split it with him. I'm giving him $150. Plus there was the aggravation of moving it around in my garage. And my hands hurt like hell from trying to take apart all these old, corroded pieces. I'll let him do it from now on, and it's part of his bonus.
  8. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Damn, you guys do pretty good brass is only 1.10 down here.
  9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

What's the going rate at recyclers where you are?

I called three places today and they'll pay 1.50 to 1.65/ lb. for clean brass (screws, diaphragms, springs and all removed) and .90 to 1.00/lb. for unsorted.

Should I keep looking around for a better price?
  10. mikeny

mikeny LawnSite Member

cleaned up this week copper with soder $2.20 # clean copper $2.35#, brass just had a couple valves $1 #