Lawn Care Forum banner

Scrap or sell?

• Take to the transfer station and scrap.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Post on CL, and see if someone wants a project or some parts.

Votes: 18 75.0%

scrap or sell?

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Townhouse Yards 
#1 · (Edited)
I picked up an old toro rear bagger 21 from a client, who dug it out from under a tarp. I thought i could put some money into it and repair it to use as a back-up. A dealer quoted me $250 to get it running, and even then it would need a new blade, and the deck and handles need to be cleaned. I already have another toro 20' push that I love, so i don't need or want this one. Should I just take it to the local transfer station for scrap metal, or could I sell it for parts, or if someone wanted a project?

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface

Tire Wheel Plant Lawn mower Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Road surface Wood

Road surface Wood Asphalt Motor vehicle Floor

See less See more
#2 ·
Thats an old Super Recycler! If you scraped it, you wouldn't get very much money… probably less then 10 bucks. Craigslist it as a parts/repairable mower, you might get somebody willing to spend 50-75 bucks on it. A new homeowner or a fly by nighter. :)

#3 ·
Thats an old Super Recycler! If you scraped it, you wouldn't get very much money… probably less then 10 bucks. Craigslist it as a parts/repairable mower, you might get somebody willing to spend 50-75 bucks on it. A new homeowner or a fly by nighter. :)
That's good to hear. I was hoping there might be some value in it. Thanks for the response.

#4 ·
Biggest issue with this era SR-21s IMHO ~> is that they only cut up to 3" high max.

See if the cutting height adjustment slots in the deck are toast. IOW, does the mower jump to a lower cutting height on uneven ground? If so, the problem is in the deck itself, unfortunately.
There's an adapter plate from Toro to fix this, BUT it prohibits the cutting height from mowing higher than 2.5"... = not good.

The other weak point is the tranny...assuming it is self-propelled.

Definitely not worth investing any more than ~$70-$80 into to get it working as a backup...assuming you'd even want it.

#7 ·
Biggest issue with this era SR-21s IMHO ~> is that they only cut up to 3" high max.

See if the cutting height adjustment slots in the deck are
toast. IOW, does the mower jump to a lower cutting height on uneven ground? If so, the problem is in the deck itself, unfortunately.
There's an adapter plate from Toro to fix this, BUT it prohibits the cutting height from mowing higher than 2.5"... = not good.

The other weak point is the tranny...assuming it is self-propelled.

Definitely not worth investing any more than ~$70-$80 into to get it working as a backup...assuming you'd even want it.
Thanks for the reply. It is not a self propelled, it is a push. The height adjustment does move ok, but you have to really tug on it to move it. I don't want it anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
The old Toro is worth it. They're tied for 1st Place w/ Honda mowers. Throw it up on Craigslist. (You already took the pics.) Somebody will buy it!
Ok, I will advertise it as a parts/project mower. Probably the time to post is in March, or does it really matter?
Posted via Mobile Device

#9 ·
not self propelled my opinion its worthless. i would scrap it i cant see anyone paying more then scrap value on that mower.
It is not a self propelled. Thanks for the reply.
Posted via Mobile Device

#13 ·
if you scrap it take it apart the starter motor can bring more money off the machine if the deck is aluminum or engine block that is descent money .75 for aluminum last time I looked here .
I removed a dead snapper rear engine mower took it apart ended up with about $20+ from that junk last year .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.