1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scrape/Clean Under Mower Deck-How Often?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wolfie's L&L, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

I've been searching for a thread that relates to this, but I haven't found one.

How often do you scrape and clean underneath your mower decks-both riders and wb's? I try to do it at least every 2-3 days. Also lubricate the blades and other maintenance I see that are needed.

DBALLARD LawnSite Member

Spray WD40 or Pam under your deck in stiuations that may cause grass to stick - it will save you alot of scraping time.
  3. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Haven't clean decks in 10 yr. but we use MEG MO blades
  4. fubunics

fubunics LawnSite Member

One of my favorite 'sayings' is : 'Nobody likes a Liar'.:rolleyes:

I try to scrape the decks every 3 or 4 days, but probably should do it daily. I need to try the Pam trick, as I've heard that it does work well. I tried wd40 and it only made it worse, although my deck wasn't completely clean when I sprayed it on.
  5. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

depends on the day. In the spring we scrape them after each day of use. The summer & fall: if the grass is dry and not too tall we can usually leave them for a few more days.
  6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

No scraping here, but I use Meg Mo blades too. But even with stock blades, I never had to scrape as much as some of you say you do.
  7. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

depends on the weather. If the grass is wet, we have to do it several times at each account. If its dry...... we get away with it until the grass is wet again.
    or, if i stop home to use the 'john', gotta make my guy do something...........
  8. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I do the PAM trick and it works. Have not cleaned under my deck in a few weeks. I do it every few weeks but put PAM on every day or every other day. Not as much now as the grass is drying out due to the summer but we have been overly wet up here in Michigan and usually have dew on the lawns until Noon depending on sun/shade areas so I still put the PAM on. Works like a charm. But I am spending a ton on PAM though, beats scraping every day, so I guess its a plus.
  9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I scrape AS NEEDED.
  10. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

Maybe I'll try the Pam and WD40 idea this weekend.