1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

scratched a demo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dixiedemon, Sep 4, 2005.

1. dixiedemon

dixiedemon LawnSite Member
    from ky

took out a new dixie chopper rb2700 friday to demo, i strapped it down locked the brake but still scratched the front of it hauling it home what do i do
  2. kevinsky

kevinsky LawnSite Member
    from Nevada

I wouldn't worry about it. Demo machines are expected to receive some wear and tear.
  3. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

First off, I would be completely honest with the dealer and let them know right off what has happened. Then I would be prepared to take care of the damage financially, offer to pay to have it fixed. It will build trust and good relations with the dealer. In the future, they know that they can continue to trust you with anything they demo/loan to you.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I've never demo'd anything but here's what I would do:

I also think they can expect this on demos but from my experience in dealing with people, I DO think you want to inform the dealer of the scratch but NO I would NOT offer to fix or pay for it upfront but wait and see what happens then if the dealer is going to make a big stink of it...
    Just play it by ear and be upfront and honest.

Certainly I would not try to HIDE it and don't deny it if questioned, also it will unfortunately make a difference if you're going to BUY a new machine at this point that would help even if it's a different machine... Not saying you need to buy a new one if you had not planned on doing so, but that makes a difference, I think.

Then it may have something to do with how close you are with your dealer as well (specifically, how LONG you been dealing with him or her). With mine, I think I could demo a ztr right into the lake and bring it back with pieces of alligator wrapped around the blades and he would shake his head a bit as we load up a NEW one and I sign some papers and off we go, thou if he said I'm going to have to pay for cleaning up the gators then I would ask if we can put this on my account and again we would load up and sign papers and be on our way.
  5. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

As a dealer just come in a be honest. I doubt you'll have to pay for damages. Demo's are meant to be used, scratched get muddy..... the only way I would charge back damage on a demo to a customer would be complete neglect.

Don't sweat it.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

true demo units are usually used for 250 hours or so by the rep or larger dealer. They know in 250 hours cosmetic things will happen. I can't imagine you will have any issue.

If he was doing you a favor to let you demo a floor model, well things might be a little different.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Demos don't stay showroom quality very long. Just inform the dealer and don't worry about it IMO.
  9. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

If its big and long, down to bare metal and its quite noticeable I would let the dealer know of the scratch and tell them you will pay for it. but if its just a hairline scratch I would not worry, sh#t happens its a mower not a luxury car. Do you see heavy equipment all shiny and scratch free? Heck no they get used and have wear marks all over them.
  10. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

ask them how much of a discount you get on that mower cause it has a scratch. :p