scratched car

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crazyscaper, Aug 8, 2003.

1. crazyscaper

crazyscaper LawnSite Member

i scratced a car last week, the customer is not mine it is a friend of mines. the customer confronted me and told me to come back when her husband gets home. am 16 and have no insurance so what should i do? BTW this is a leased car.....

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Were you working for someone else? I'm not quite understanding. If it is your friends customer, either he needs to pay, you need to split the cost or something. Explain further.

3. If you had insurance, the only way you could afford it would be to have a high deductible ($500-$1,000). Unless you really gouged that car, you’re looking at a couple hundred dollars, maybe less. So insurance or not, you’d still have to pay something like this out of your pocket.

No choice here bud, face the music. It’s tough, but real. It will kick your rear, but be a man, stand up to your responsibility. Everybody makes mistakes, it’s what you do to fix them that counts.

You probably know some older people that EVERYBODY thinks highly of. It might be hard to see from where you are now, but there is nothing more valuable than that. Not money, position, influence, anything. Well, those older people that make everybody smile got there by doing things right when they were young. One thing leads to another, be it good or be it bad. No matter how hard, you will NEVER regret doing the right thing here.

Of course, it would have been better to let them know right up front, by telling them you scratched it first. But that time has passed, now the right thing to do is subject yourself to their judgement. Don’t argue. Be totally honest. Do not expect any mercy, then if you get some you will be truly grateful. If you can't pay it all now, they will understand and probably accept payment over time. Even if they go off on you, quitely stand still, look them in the eye, forget about your ego, dismiss emotional insults, and listen for truth. You have two ears and one mouth, which means you should listen twice as much as defending yourself. If you agrue, they will probably be more demanding than if you just be respectful and listen. Remember, they were once your age and went through the same kinds of things.

Going forward, suffering these consequences will force you to be doubly careful when making “little” decisions like this at work. Better safe than dead. LOL

4. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

Great advice.... ditto what Bluesteel said...

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

how did u scratch it?

6. crazyscaper

crazyscaper LawnSite Member

i hit it with the front caster of my WB

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

your walk behind? or your friends? rule is, if u r on his timeclock, its his problem. if u r on your own time clock, deny, deny, deny

8. Step up to the plate now, and you’ll sprout a dozen new chest hairs. Run away like a boy, and you’ll set yourself up for yet another failure and even more regret in the future.

9. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

You must be able to come to an agreement with the owner?
    Free cuts for repairs? Pay them off in installments? Can your olds help you out?
    Don't worry your self mate these things always work them selfs out in the end. And think of it as part of the learning experience, you are 16 so this is the time to make mistakes and learn from them. Take this in your stride! :) and let your self grow from your mistakes.

10. Frank2

Frank2 LawnSite Member

crazyscaper. I agree with everyone to step up to the plate. Being that your only 16 years old, I would bring your father with you when you go to settle up with this guy. Some people may try to take advantage of you since your a kid. Just don't want to see the guy take you. good luck.