1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

scratched hydraulic piston!

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by vntgrcr, Nov 14, 2005.

1. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

Today I succeeded in scratching the bucket dipper piston on a chunk of concrete on my brand new Kubota 161.. Not deep scratches but bad enough that I could see it tearing a seal or something. Hydraulics are not my strength and I have never had a cylinder apart. What can I expect from this screw up? Other than that, I love the machine!
  2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Ouch the best thing to do is take it to a hydraulic shop to have the job done heres your options if the rod is straight you can have the rod re chromed if its bent you need a new rod made up. Without seeing the scratch its hard to tell what the best option is.

If the gouge is deep enough to really catch your finger nail or if you run your finger over it then you will have to get something done with it.

Is the cylinder leaking ?

If you think you can take a file or some emery paper to smooth out the area do that and keep running it. If the scratch is beyond that again needs to be rechromed.

You must have got a good chunk of concrete on the cylinder if its gouged it.
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I've wacked the backfill blade tilt cylinder on our Ditchwitch against large boulders a couple times without scratching it, they must have a incredibly hard coating.
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

A hydrualic shop should be able to fix that and then replace the seal.
  5. playnindirt

playnindirt LawnSite Member

we usually carry a file set eith us. If the scratch is just a surface scratch smooth it out so it does not tear the seal and you should be all set. If the scratch is deep then you will have to have a hydraulic shop smooth it out.