1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Screamin green!!!! anyone have some testimonials!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassman177, Dec 2, 2009.

1. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

I live and work in San Diego county, most types of grass grow here. I tried it on all types, Don't like it won't ever use it again. It takes way to long for green-up, one lawn I had to put it on three times before it greened up. Plus it smells like cat piss! I have a great fert i'v been using for 28 years and I will keep with it. Bests turf supreme in the summer and bests nitro king in the winter. My dealer talked me in to buying some fert from Norway once. After I bought it I was driving away asking my self, What the hell did I just do?! I bought fert from Norway? They don't know what kind pf soil we have in San Diego! Plus why in the hell am I helping the Norwegian economy?
  2. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

While I do respect your opinion, your post SCREAMS something to me. You dont understand the composition of different ferts and how they will react under different circumstances. 28 years and you bought some fert from Noway and didn't know why? Regarding cat piss......really?...you never ever once smelled cat piss from any fert...ever? No offense, but I don't think you realize what your post says about you...and NOTHING about 16-2-3.
  3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

cat piss fert?? Does it burn?
  4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i have to agree here.
  5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I agree with you guys!

Sounds like he doesn't understand what he is using and why!

Also...if you treat every lawn the same you are a fool!

We know our lawns and we carry starter on every truck along with 30-0-5.

If it is a heavily shaded lawn we don't push the N.

I had a customer with 2 acres this summer request Millorganite. I was very impressed with the results this fall.

However due to the cost and amount of product I had to use it would keep me from doing much in the future.

I did it myself and it turned a 40 min job into a 1.5 hour job.

Not good!
  6. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

C'mon man, cat piss was our secret ingredient. Now we'll have to find something else.
  7. grassman177

i use a blend for two years now with some milorganite, loved it. cant wait to try some of the nutrients plus ferts for next year
  8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I don't even want to know how you harvested cat piss my friend:laugh:
  9. grassman177

10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I think we ended up using about a dozen bags last year (traded 50% XCU for it). IMO it was a bad trade cuz:

1) Turf color (as well as the longevity of color) was weak

2) It was also somewhat dusty, and impeller fins tended to cake up more quickly vs XCU fert

3) It smelled really bad

4) Cost per acre was high

Regarding odor:

1) My guys truly hated the foul odor. When they opened the bags, they said it immediately smelled like a "dead mouse".

2) Some customers also noticed the foul odor, so they questioned us as to what we were applying (this was obviously not a selling point)

I was all set to order a semi load, but my guys got wind of it. So it never happened. Wife also said, "Good decision".

my 2 cents plus the 2 cents of ALL my employees