1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Screamin green!!!! anyone have some testimonials!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassman177, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

if you have a bag get wet and sit for any length of time, when you open it, it will smell like cap piss and literally make your eyes water.

Larry, what did you figure the cost per acre to be? Ive been called names with how low I can bid, even using SG.
  2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

my cost per bag of screamin green is way less than what i have been using, so cost per acre is cheaper, not more.
  3. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Turf Color-I have seen nothing but the opposite. I'll add that when dealing with natural/organic substances, my experiance has shown that temperature can have a HUGE impact on results...especially regarding milorganite. I don't feel anyone can resonably say "it didn't work". SG is just another tool in the box that when used and understood correctly....works. No one on this thread has given a valid (by definition) reason that it didn't work. Maybe it didn't work for YOU because of YOUR scenario...again, it's just another tool to be used where needed. A common problem I see in the lawncare community is that a lot of companies/guys need to pound their customers lawns into oblivion because the outfit cutting those lawns is playing the chopping game and doesn't know or care how to cut turf. Under this scenario, saying Screamin Green didn't work under normal app rates is like saying my porsche won't pull my 40' motor home...don't ever buy a porsche. The bottom line is this: it's just another tool...not knowing how or when a tool should be used isn't a valid reason to say the tool didn't work as claimed. Just about all ferts out there work as intended. It's up to the professional to determine when, where, and how to make that tool work.

Cost IS a valid argument.
    Smell (although is disagree) IS a valid argument.
    Dust (c'mon..employees don't regularly clean the equip?) IS a valid argument.
  4. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Good post, mdlwn.

Regarding odor. I've probably used a few truckloads of this stuff over the years and have experienced some smelly bags as well, though not too often. Remember that you're dealing with composted poultry manure and milorganite here, which are both biologically active products. Add a little N to the mix and a tiny bit of moisture and you can have some reaction in the bag. Also, shipping could have caused this (think shrink wrapped pallet and humidity on a tractor trailer in the dead of summer).

Some of the opinions on this board are nuts, especially one based on a 12 bag sample that you traded for. How long was that stuff sitting around?

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

I was quoted 21.55 for a bag for 4 skids that was back in 2008 still have the email. I did get a quot last year and it was more that that. That is more than i pay for Fert.I bet it is good fert but to costly at this point.

Charles Cue
  6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i guess it is because you dont use truckloads. we do, and then the price is almost half that!!

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Now that would be a good price

Charles Cue
  8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We got it from Pxxxx, and it was a recent shipment. Our fert was also a fresh shipment.

I feel that 600 pounds is enough product to make comparisons, especially after being in this business since the late '70s.

9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

2008 example: We paid $13.75 per bag for 44-0-0 25% XCU. This is a much heavier nitrogen "load" compared to what you got. If P & K are not lacking, why apply it? High cost per acre can kill a business. Nothing against Screamin' Green, but we are in a very competitive market. "One App" is another option guys are choosing. BTW, ISU recommends core aeration instead of ........ They go further by stating that organic matter needs to be incorporated into the soil in order to be effective. Makes sence to me.

10. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

No need to xxx out my name, I've got nothing to hide. We sent you a 10# sample & you did complain about an odor. I don't know where you got the other bags from, I do remember you said whoever it was has been happy with Screamin Green for years and I believe they continue to use it. Apparently, you were not happy with Screamin Green, I appreciate that you gave it a try. I doubt there is any single fert that will make everyone happy, no big deal.