screeching noise from the belt?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robby, Sep 8, 2006.

1. robby

robby LawnSite Member

On my Exmark turf tracer i've recently noticed that the belt is making more noise when going through thicker grass. I can't go with any speed through any kind of tall or wet grass now without the blades slowing down and the screechy noises. Is this a sign of a belt that needs replaced? I've never before had to replace a belt before it actually breaking. Is this from the belt getting stretched out?

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

may check the spring loaded tensioner on the deck. spray some lube on it, if its sticking.

3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

It could be the belt is slipping. Check the tension like Chad said.

4. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Adjust the belt stupid....lol, kenny

5. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

Check the above and spray some belt dressing on it. Get it at auto parts stores etc. It's sticky and helps the grip on the belt.

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

You need a new belt. Belt is stretched.

7. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

8. robby

robby LawnSite Member

The tension on the spring seems fine. My guess is that the belt is slipping, I assume just from being worn out enough. Is it unheard of to get more than 1 or 2 seasons out of a belt?

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

How many hours?

10. robby

robby LawnSite Member

I'm putting around 700 hours a year on the mower. This belt has probably around 800 hours on it. Before this I never had belts last even a year. My Deere belts used to break a couple times a year. I have no idea how many hours to expect out of a belt.