screeding base

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JMMack, Feb 22, 2013.

1. JMMack

JMMack LawnSite Member
    from PA

what method are you using to screed (if you do screed at all) the stone base?

in other words, do you set screed pipes at your desired slope to screed the last 1" or 1-1/2" of base material?

thanks

2. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes sir thats the way. I screed all my lifts. I like a flat base from start to finish. I find that it compacts better that way.

3. Clarkscape

Clarkscape LawnSite Member

Yes, I use 1" pipe, set to the grade and pitch I want the paver to sit on. You should not use stone or base material on top 1"; instead use bedding sand.
    It sounds like this may be your first job...consider hooking up with someone who has some experience before you move forward. Mistakes can be costly to fix when it comes to this work.

4. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

i'm pretty nice with the base rake, then I use rails for the sand

5. JMMack

JMMack LawnSite Member
    from PA

its not my first job, I've built a few patios, just was curious to see how everyone was getting their base exact. I personally screed it using 1' iron pipe set to desired grade

6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

We do not screed base aggregate. Rakes. Compact. Check with line level.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Screed your aggregate base lifts?? Man, that just sounds silly. I mean I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat. I also bet if I changed the oil in my truck every Saturday that would be better, but just plain silly

8. big daddy b

big daddy b LawnSite Member

Yeah we don't screed the sub base aggregate in, we set up the perimeter with string lines using a laser level, depending on the pitch we'll use checker lines across field from string line to string line to get it roughed in, then the final tamp before we screed setting bed we go over the whole thing with the laser.

9. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I have a big 16' screeder board for concrete, so if we have perimeter strings i will use the board to check the middle for humps and dips
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Posted via Mobile Device[/size
    We screed the ag base to get it as accurate as possible.