Screen?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frontier-Lawn, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

how does one remove the exhuast screen on a echo trimmer (srm-230) and what are the benifits of such mod?

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

A large fine from the EPA if caught.

3. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

remove engine cover,then you will see the spark arrestor screen cover, 3 bolts. remove them... if you take out screen you will have to carry a fire extinguisher! and you will have to adjust your carb to make up for the back flo differences . it isn't with it.

4. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

well the benefit would be the spark arrestor (screen) would not build up carbon from the engine, as far as a fine from the EPA never heard that one before.

Steve

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Take it out immediately and throw it away...before it causes your engine to overheat!!! Basically a bad engineered idea that clogs easily and would need maintenance every couple months.

6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Every piece of equipment I buy with one, it comes off before I even use it. Usually though, they're those pesky ones you just pull out with a pair of needle nose pliers. They clog up plus it's sort of like putting a better flowing exhaust on your truck. You will pick up just a small power gain.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Wait...

It isn't an exhaust screen, it is a SPARK arrestor! It is there to prevent sparks from flying out the exhaust and possibly catching some kindling (like dry leaves near the woods) on fire. I've thought many times of removing this POS but the fact that I don't want to be responsible for someone's woods catching on fire has stopped me thus far.

8. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

OK guy's, we've got hundreds, if not thousands of professional lawn cutters on this forum. I'll bet not one of them has ever seen a "spark" come flying out of an exhaust on a piece of equipment!

9. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

I'll bet none . . . but how many have had to clean out the exhaust ports and remove the screens later because of the power loss from carbon build up? A LOT!

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

hmmm, well it was the dealer told me this stuff about the spark arrestor, but I also know when the dealer tells me my new mower is 'ready to go,' he really means 'you need to take it home and check over everything to make sure we really tightened it and make sure everything is as tight or as loose as it should be and re-adjust a slew of settings to your likings and re-greasing the zircs might not hurt to do all this before you take it out or you'll be back real soon for a warranty issue.'

He's a great guy, but now you guys have me thinking I might can get my 4-year old Echo to run better if I pull this thing off, hmmm....