screened river sand as amendment

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by naughty62, Jan 31, 2006.

1. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

Let me paint you a picture.Just got three lawns,5year old ,poor seedbed prep.,blue grass or mix,sodded on back yard slope,a little n.c.s./summer patch.From digging deep I found out the do and do nots .I know testing is too slow and not feasable,rye grass replant,aerate,deepand limited watering,ect,etc.is there any problems with boadcasting screened sand from the local pit after aerating ,the soil below the sod is hard clay.do to the cohabitation of many different stains,some fungicide resistant.has anybody had any luck witha prevenitive/curative fungicide?And what about screened sand from local pit as amendment after aeration?

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Do not add sand to clay!For 1 thing it will wash out of the bank and for two clay + sand = cement!Broadcast compost.
    This will make my 2000th post pat me on the back

3. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I agree with sheshovel (pat pat pat) organic material is what you need to build in the profile, topdressed after aeration for many moons to come. watch your water and depth of topdressing to make sure that you don't create host for more fungal probs, but otherwise, load up a fine screened compost and have at it!

4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

If you aerate the area well, IMHO there is absolutely nothing wrong with topdressing with a 50/50 mixture of organic material and sand.

The sand would actually help improve the drainage of the clay.

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I was always given this mental picture to think about: Think about putting some marbles in a jar full of flour. The sand represents the marbles, the four represents the clay. As you can "see" the sand is going to no nothing at all to improve the aeration of the soil, nor is it going to help it hold or shed water better. You would need a to be able to amend the soil till there was a much higher ratio of sand to clay to achieve any benefits.

Golf courses and athletic fields use sand to top-dress only because greens and athletic fields are built on a sand (or at least a 75%) sand base.

The only way to ammend soils that are primarily loam and clay is to use organic material and aeration.