Screening compost for topdressing. On site?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by JDUtah, Jul 6, 2008.

1. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Do you organic pro's find it better to screen the compost on site or just a good screen before you head out? TY

2. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Well, depends on if you have the time or not... where you getting your compost? I should not have to screen my next few jobs as there will be nothing but the product, nothing else is getting into it, a whole lot of OLD poop. But, if I am picking it up from the supply store then I will screen it on site.

Check out the, "pics of my first topdress job". You will see my screen. It worked pretty good, what didn't automatically fall through I just raked it with my scoop shovel and it finished the left overs pretty quick. I figure a guy screening and a guy spreading and it should run pretty smooth. But, like I said, I won't have to screen this next couple jobs so a few quick scoops and off to spreading.

I can't wait!

3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

pre screen always, don't be a baboon, it would be like rebuilding a blower in the customers yard. that's a big no go. do it in the shade/ cover of your little (insert place here) and have your radio on and the cold dew in the fridge, don't make this into a federal production. do you brew your own weed killer at the site also?

4. JDUtah

from UT

haha, ok. point taken. Just wondering if clumping was an issue, but guess not lol.

Well that and the stuff I can get (I have to pick it up) is fairly screened, but has some chunks, so a smaller screen might help. Figure load the trailer and do it onsite, maybe, so we don't have to shovel twice.

5. treegal1

listen if your paying for it or made it your self it should be some top shelf $h*t, no lumps and reeeeeaaalll smmooooooth. like whipped cream! that's the beauty of DIY compost. I am going to have to start the screening tread?lets see, how to find it, how to finish it, whats next oh yeah the screen

6. treegal1

screen on to the trailer???

7. JDUtah

from UT

I wish, it's just dumped.... 1.5 yards a bucket... local dump so they want you outta there.

8. treegal1

good luck bro........

9. JDUtah

from UT

lol, thanks. I'm thinking up a little power screener that I can just dump onto with a dump trailer. Wheelbarow on one side for the screened stuff... one on the other for the chips. but it's 'just deal with it' for now. Glad I'm only testing this year.

10. treegal1

you tube time for you!!!! look at the others, there is some crazy ideas that are over the top, keep it simple. the all time favorite is just a screen on an angle so the tailing fall to the ground and the compost goes through.

rutuba, think like ya po, search that again!