Screening topsoil + lovely employee work

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by CAT powered, Aug 13, 2008.

1. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One of my guys running the dozer cleaning out underneath the screen.
    [​IMG]
    The buttons with which I control the whole operation.
    [​IMG]
    A little shot of inside the drum as it turns. Had to quit early because the dirt was too wet and it just stuck to the inside of the drum.

Now for some handywork of my new guy. Not the one in the picture.
    [​IMG]
    Well the height wasn't marked. Oh... wait...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The truck frame is bent and the truck was only 1700$ when I bought it so it's not worth repairing it. Bad news is insurance doesn't cover one-vehicle incidents. Oh well. I think he's not going to pull anything like that again. As long as he doesn't have another incident I'm probably not going to fire him.
    I guess it should have thrown warning flags when he said his truck needed to be fixed because it was in an accident. I've got him running a D8 sized Dresser dozer and he does good on that, but he definitely wrecked this truck.

2. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

so is this a job your doing? or do you sell topsoil? if so what exactly do you do? btw nice dozer...

3. CAT powered

That is at my company yard. I screen topsoil and sell it to a local town. A while ago there was a thread about screening material and I made mention that I had that McCloskey and someone asked me to put up pictures when I ran it again. I usually only run it when the town puts in a purchase order for it. I wish I had taken advantage of the dry weather we had early August. We can't get a solid 3 rainless days here now.

That dozer is a 1997 (i think) Dresser TD7 H. It has a Cummins with under 100 hours in it. It cost me like 23k including costs of putting in the new engine. I had to deal with some family shullbit 2 years ago so I had to start this business from scratch 2 years ago. That dozer is going to be replaced by a JD 550J soon, but first I need a nice little D6.

4. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

Throw that truck on ebay, even with the damage you'll probably get $900-$1000 out of it.

5. CAT powered

Maybe. I do have that truck's exact twin that carries around 275 gallons of diesel and 100 gallons of hydraulic oil so I could theoretically pull the engine and trans and have them just in case the other truck breaks. It might be interesting to see what that truck would get though. I might try that.

6. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

finish ripping the sides off and you'll have a nice little flat bed truck!

7. Junior M

what kind of excavator do you use?

8. CAT powered

Dirtman that was the first thought that ran through my mind when I saw it. Unfortunately he bent the frame so that's not really an option at this point.

The excavator there is a 94 (i think) Deere 490E with a thumb on it. It is just about the right size because with a 3 yard loader you can overwhelm it sometimes.

9. Junior M

you might take the truck to a body shop or dealership and have them put it on the frame rack.. not sure what the technical name is but that is what my great cousin does before he sells a used truck...

10. CAT powered

It's not worth the money. I am friendly with a guy that owns a large trailer dealership and he has one of those things that straightens frames out, but it would cost more than I paid for the truck to begin with.

And in other news this just isn't my week. Truck gets totaled and insurance wont pay it. Now I was out mowing and the loader frame on the tractor bumped the guide wire for a telephone pole. The top of the pole snapped off and fell towards the street and power lines were down on the street. Luckily for me my facility is on a po-dunk little road so the cops got there before any cars had to go by. It was getting to be slightly dark and the sparks that flew off that street light when it fell were pretty neat. Luckily for me even the dumb cop that was there was able to figure out within 45 seconds of rolling up that it was a rotted out pole and it shouldn't have done that.