1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Screenings Instead Of Crusher Run

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES, Aug 29, 2007.

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Guys, Was Working A Job Today And Ran A Little Short On Crusher Run While Leveling My Base And Was Wondering If I Could Use Some Extra Washed Screenings I Had Left To Finish Leveling The Base If I Compacted Them Like The Crusher Run? I Had Not Heard Of Doing That Before, But The Guy At The Stone Yard Said It Would Be Fine B/c The Screenings Will Tamp Just Like The Crusher. What Do You Guys Think? And If You Are Not Sure, Please Resist From Answering With An Assumption. Thanks.
  2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I would give my okay with it if you mix the screenings in with the base material and not just use them as a top dressing.

100 views and one post? Did I stump everyone or bore them?
  4. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

It's kind of a silly question. Just got get more road base. Geez
  5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i wouldnt use screenings, but then again i dont know much about hardscaping. Screenings have a tendancy to turn to mush when they get saturdated with water, so screenings alone is not a good idea to put where there will be water present, like the above post mentioned mix it with a larger aggregate to get a good locking bond, or take your truck to the quarry and get a few more tons of modified
  6. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Mix the screenings with clean stone, add a little water to bind them together and you should be fine.

just for fyi, i went to the yard and purchased more crush, the point of the post was to learn something new for next time. thanks for the input guys.