Screens on stihl weedeaters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mownredneck, Jan 10, 2005.

1. mownredneck

mownredneck LawnSite Member

I was just wondering what are the screens on the mufflersfor? I know a couple of guys who have takin them off and told me to take them off. Does it help it perform better? any comments would be greatly appreciated. :waving:

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont know but we removed ours because we will having loss of power and there was a big difference. Our dealer suggested that we remove the screens on all of our Stihl equipment.

3. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

It's a Cal thing to keep the spark from comming out. I don,t know about you but i take all of them out before i crank them up.If not they will gum up with carbon real fast. and rob power.

4. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

if yo take them off the screen doesn't get carboned up and thus will not block the exhaust which would cause a bad running machine.

5. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

I believe the reason people take them off is because they plug up with carbon. i once couldn't't get my trimmer started i took it to the small gas guy. he took the screen off and it was fine.

You don't want to restrict the power.

6. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

the reason is forest fires

7. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

J&R is correct, it started in California on chain saws in the mid 70's to help prevent wild fires due to dry conditions and the government mandated it for all small engines soon after. Yes it causes running problems when it becomes clogged with the oily soot emitted from a 2 stroke engine in a fairly short time depending on the oil being mixed and the ratio. Common practice is to remove it, but u didnt hear that from me though. :rolleyes:

8. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

Ah yes, i found that out when i fisrt started out. I lost a whole day of mowing because of that stupid screen, I finally figured out why my dam weed eater wasn't working when i read my manual later that night.

9. B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc LawnSite Member

They are called spark arrestors and they cause more problems than they are worth. I pull them out when i buy any piece of equipement that has one. Then toss them in the trash.

10. bill w

bill w LawnSite Member
    from Va.

My very limited experience with screens is that, at 50:1 fuel mix, they take a while to clog up...in fact I haven't had one clog yet. At 40:1 it eventually became a problem, but I just took it out and burned off the carbon with a propane torch.

I think that if I were to take the screen out and leave it out, I would turn the high speed jet out just a little to richen the fuel/air ratio...or reset it with a tach.