screwed over by my fellow mowing "buddy"...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fleming Lawn Services, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Fleming Lawn Services

Fleming Lawn Services LawnSite Member

Well i guess he really isn't a friend, found out this week from a commercial account i cut weekly that one of my so called friends tried to take it away from me. In this letter my "friend" said i wasn't fit to be in this business, because for one: my Dad does all my paper work and billing (this is a family ran business by the way), secondly, i still live at home (i just moved back home because for the past six years i have lived in Ohio, so i am trying to get situated still), and thirdly i have a bad reputation in the business.

Let me just tell you people that i am an honest christian man who actually graduated from Bible college and was planning on going into the ministry but i loved lawn work so much that i couldn't quit it, and all i want to do is build a respectable company which prides itself on honesty and character! Also this is my first year in the business(i grew up mowing lawns before i went to school in Cincinnati) and i have a handful of accounts and some commercial accounts as well and i have never heard anything bad from them.

So after reading this letter that he wrote to one of my properties, i felt pretty dejected yesterday and was pretty upset. My question is how would you guys deal with this and have you all had to deal with anything like this?

2. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride LawnSite Senior Member

just keep doing good work and move on. Your work will stand for itself. Don't talk to your friend anymore!

3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Well, the Lord says to turn the other cheek.
    I say to directly ask this individual if he really sent out this letter - you know he did - and if he lies to your face then cave it in with a shovel.
    Provided he doesn't lie, then grasp him about the shoulders and ask a Brother on how to help a Brother in running a faith based business.
    When he opens his mouth to reply, hit him in the head with a shovel.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Boy... I don't know...

That was a lot of help huh?

5. Fleming Lawn Services

Fleming Lawn Services LawnSite Member

after i read the letter i called to talk to him and unfortunately only got his answering machine, and then the funniest thing was he would only text message me and he just told me to get some thick skin. Unfortunately he doesnt hold to the integrity side of the business he is purely cut throat, which i have just learned!

6. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Don't let it bother you. Just let your work speak for itself. Obviously you still have the client he tried to snake from you. I feel that anyone who has to resort to trying to get clients by badmouthing the current LCO obviously doesn't have the kind of quality work and reputation to be able to get clients on his own.

7. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't let it get you down. Same thing happened to me last year. Some one from a local church called for a mowing estimate and was in a big hurry. So I shot him a price for 8 acres open mowing with very little trimming, Just exellent for our equipment. It's less than a mile from where we live. So I quoted him $500.00 per cut. They want it cut EVERY week and it's non irrigated. So what happened? He decided to go into the lawn business himself and under-cut me by $100.00. It takes him a full day to mow it and most times he splits it into 2 days!!. Oh by the way he is doing apps to with-out a license. As soon as I get his # off the truck I am turning him in to the Mo-Ag. Also he tried to buy a Stander using the churches tax exempt # to use in his business.

8. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

In the grand scheme of things he will be but a tiny blip....Just go on hold up your head and do what you do for the reasons that you do it. Obviously you are being sucessful and he is wanting to take the shortcut and try to steal from you. Don't defend yourself. just do the work that you do and give the customer that "knowing smile" when they ask about some unverified claim by the desperate half-wit.

9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

You went to bible college, then you know "vengence is mine sayeth the Lord".
    Forget about it, I'll promise you he want, anger always hurts you worse than the jackass you are dwelling on.

10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Jeez somebody actually thought that would be some persuasive info to include in a letter???? Either he has a very low IQ, or he is a budding politician :laugh:

Be thankful you are not him. How some people get thru life without inadvertantly killing themselves is amazing.