1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

screwed up giving a bid too early

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blades of Steel, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

Man did I screw the pooch on this bid. I gave this lady a bid for leaf removal, gutter cleaning, taking out 3 trees and putting in 20 yards of mulch. I under bid the leafs real bad, i bid her 200$ for that part of the quote. However, at the time the leafs had not begun to fall but had started to turn. We spent about 8 hours (me and 1 other) doing this job. Here's the kicker, I have a debris loader and it still took 8 hrs. Thank goodness we were not bagging them. I messed this one up bad.... Never again will I bid a leaf job that early in the season.

I will make the money up in other areas but I didn't sleep very well last night knowing i screwed it up.

Thought I would share.

I get the "Dumb Ass" of the day award. :cry:
  2. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I know how you feel.. I have people asking me for a bid for leaf removal for next season.. I'm like there are no leaves on your trees, there is no way I can give you a bid without seeing how much I will have to cleanup..

The only way I would bid now would be to give them an hourly rate..
  3. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Hourly rate for leaf cleanup. Only hourly figure that I give out the entire year for this reason above. Simply state your hourly whatever it may be, hopefully more than what you're making mowing and if they ask or say its too much, tell them why and what they are getting. I usually tell them that my mower / bagger and loader onto a 1 ton dump is more than 5 times faster than they could probably do it and I tell them somehow that there time and energy is hopefully worth alot more than 1/5 my hourly rate and usually they will agree.
  4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I am SOOO glad we do not have leaves here! :)
  5. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

But the leaves generate almost 30% of my yearly income!!:D
  6. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

o well what can ya do so ya had a bad day. Dont go pullen tampons b/c of it. u ant a dumb azz bin there done that!
  7. BravesFan

BravesFan LawnSite Member

Well Steve,

I read on another forum that you had done 260K worth of business as of June 1, 2003. I guess that puts you slightly over 500K for the year?

I further assume that you've done over 150K in leaves(from your statement above). Since leaf cleanups last for about 2 months (give or take), I'm guessing you're doing nearly 80K a month in leaves?

Perhaps you should start a thread and teach the rest of us your secrets..or at least show us how you keep your books. The latter may be fun to see.

8. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

How can you not have leaves?
  9. BravesFan

BravesFan LawnSite Member

Kitty Hawk is on the ocean(I pass through there on my way to Hatteras & Oregon Inlet). Not many trees there.

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I almost run into this same situation this year. We did spring clean up for the guy early in the season (which the previous year before he took care of the leaves) and then we maintained his property all year. Well, he wanted me to give a bid for his fall clean up early and he assumed that the fall clean up would be the same price as the spring.

I told him that no, the price would be different and I didn't know exactly would the exact price would be because he took care of the previous fall clean up. After days of debating with him about the situation (yes days) I finally just told him to find someone else.