1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

screwy dodge electrical

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jacob land and, Dec 5, 2006.

1. jacob land and

jacob land and LawnSite Member

i have a 1989 dodge w250 with a plow and dump insert. the electrical system either jumps with the motor non stop or dosent work at all. but if you shake the truck it will kick on. it goes in and out when you are driving and i cant seem to find the problem? it affects everything from power windows to the plow to the lights? so i am thinking it has to be something main and somewhat obvious? any help would be great...
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Ram 250 van and it has one large positive cable running to the starter and two smaller wires suppling power to the main wire harness on the firewall.
    On these two smaller wires are plug connectors, You may want to check these connections and make sure they are not rusted, corroded or loose.
    Also check your negative cables for rust or looseness, Battery to frame and engine to frame or body.
  3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

somethings loose or coroded or somethign somewhere so look hard it may take a while but youll find it if you look doesnt seem to me to be a major problem but it may turn into one if you ground something or short it out so find it now and repair and everything should work fine
  4. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Try to re-ground to the chassie, make sur all grounds are clean connection.
  5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

fusible links? have you tried to duplicate the problem pulling and shaking all the wriring harnesses?
  6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I say bad ground. For some reason people often overlook the ground path when they have such a problem. On car, truck, and mowers it is all the same. You mount your ground wire to a piece of metal and forget that piece to bolted to another piece which is bolted to yet another peice. The next thing you know you have a dozen lap joints that could fail in the ground path. I laugh at people that have trailer problem by trying to use the trailer ball and hitch as a ground path. You may have to run a ground wire all the way from the battery to lift motor. As for the power window and plow lights you may have another problem. Dodge charging systems are know for not being high powered. My Dodge alternator is rated at 30 AMPS at 2000 RPMS but my Buick alternator is rated at 90 AMPS at 2000 RPMS. I almost fail on the floor when I read the paper that came with my Dodge alternator when I had to replace it last summer. The paper read "This is a battery maintainer NOT a battery charger. Before installing alternator charge battery or install new battery". If my battery is near dead the alternator WILL NOT charge it. I have to use the house charger.
  7. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

fixer, next thing you know is we'll all be getting a hand crank with our new cars. How cheap is everything getting? It's pretty bad that a commercial mower has better steel in it than a 40,000 $ truck. I know I'm exagerating but just making a point.
  8. jacob land and

jacob land and LawnSite Member

would a dead battery really make it go in and out like that, because my battery is dead and i have to jump the truck to start it.... so i am going to throw it on the charger and hope for the best

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

Me thinks you just diagnosed your problem. Your battery is bad and does not have enough reserve to run the engine or accessories with the alternator alone. Get you a new battery and I bet your problem will dissappear. Since you are running power accessories of the electrical system you need to get a high amp battery with good reserve power ability.
  10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like FIXDISS is on to something here, Once you replace the battery check your alternator out-put.

But....I gotta ask; Why didn't you add the above in your first post. ;)