1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

scrub asked me for a job today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joshua, May 6, 2001.

1. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i was cutting one of my renatl properties, and i seen 2 guys cutting a place around the cornor the one kid about my age was on a lazer, had no clue what he was doing. and the other guy was standing their for about 10 mins waiting to blow the drive off. after i finished mine i was getting in the truck and the kid on the lazer walked up to me and asked me if i needed help. as i was think why would i need help i did a place 2x the size of what you just cut and when i got to mine you were half way done and mine looks better. so i told him that i didn't need help that i gave my guy the day off, then i asked him what the company name was since he was wearing old beat up pants and a beater. he sat their for a minute or so like i was speaking a different languae then said its privatly owned and walked away.

just thought you guys would get a kick out of this, i have a feeling their not gunna be around to much longer, cause the kid said he could work all day everyday. i'm seeing less guys out here and more of the same guys that have been around for years start to take over the lawns the new guys were cutting. 15 calls this week, its ashame i'm to busy right now to take all of them on, but i got about half of them.
  2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

bizzare isnt it? i can jsut see like a 16 or 18 year old kid pull up on a lazer asking if u need help LOL and then when u aske dhis company name he just stood there? weird LOL
  3. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

Just a thought

Find out how much you have to teach him, and tell him classes are $20.00 per hour to retrain, Classes start Monday morning 7:00 A.M. sharp!
  4. GREG R

GREG R LawnSite Member

Hey josh
    We get this all the time
    they (scrubs) come up to us
    and ask if we have any accounts that
    we don't want or are to busy to do.
    I try to be nice to them but sometimes its
    hard knowing that they are the ones who under
    cut me all the time. Most of them say they are
    maintaining under ten yards and they have a extra
    day to fill in. (should be four and half days to
    fill in)
    But the old craftman can only go so fast.
    Just gotta laugh sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!