scrub gave me a lecture

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 29, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i could not believe it. first off, i never use the word scrub. check it out... i pull up to mow two in a row. the guy is mowing accross the street with a snapper pushmower, his buddy with a homelite pushmower, and a curved shaft wacker, and i one gallon gas can. i proceed to cut my lawns, he waves, then comes over. he says to me, "you know, just a little advice, you should really use a catcher on your mower." i'm like, "scuse me? ha ha ha. really? and why is that?" he says, "it looks better." i said, "ok, listen, pay attention. i used to cut that lady you're workin on right now, she's a pita, and she'll drive u nuts. second, i know you're getting $28 to cut it. there are two of you, that's $14 a piece. i'll have both mine done, and you'll still be there.furthermore, i happen to know your client has a sprinkler system, mine does not. if by the grace of god, u r still here in mid july, i bet my customers lawn will look better than yours." he just looks at me, and says, " i'm only trying to help you out. you SHOULD really be using a catcher." i said, "good luck pal" and away i went. got done with both of mine, and he was still at his one. what a clown. also he says to me that his 21's can produce as much as my 36, and 48. i just smiled.
  2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had pretty much the same thing happen to me once, did the same thing you did Bobby, just told him, I'll see later, good luck.
  3. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Atleast he seemed to be friendly. Sometimes, ya just gotta "yes" people. Maybe he was trying to get your opinion, without asking you directly, being ebarrassed.
    Here , if a guy comes across the street, don't put down your cultivator.
  4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Yesterday I was mowing around a customer's horse stable, the property has approx 2 acres in it. There is a small cemetary on this property, another guy is mowing it with a 20 '' mower and weed eating, It only has 30 headstones in it maybe 1/4 acre. He had a head start on me when I started, I mowed 2 acres and trimed and was gone while he was still pushing away. ohhhhh are you gonna take his advice and get you a catcher???? jokin
  5. bobbygedd

from NJ

actually grass, i do have a catcher. it stays on the trailer, and when i have a client that insists i use it, i have a metal shield i use, it blocks the discharge chute, so nothing goes in the catcher. when i get done, they say, "ahhh, see, much better with the catcher." i say yup, you were right, now give me my $30 bucks
  6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Well Bob,Maybe their right.
    Maybe a 21 is more productive than a 48.
    Keep that catcher!
  7. tedk

tedk LawnSite Member

of course the first thing he is going to do is tell her you called her a pita.
  8. bobbygedd

from NJ

it's ok, i told her myself, last year, after cutting her 3 times, she said, "your edging, i just don't like it." i said, "i'm so sorry, let me do it over." then next friday, guess who didn't show up? ME!!! and never again either
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

10. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

You know, i have a fairly good sense of when ppl are joking but i cant here. You are joking right BobbyGedd?