Scrub Lawyer and LCO!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, Apr 24, 2004.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Now I'm really gettin pizzed. I have a nice section of houses on a cul de sac that I have been mowing for about 7 years. A new guy who is the stepson to one of the customers on that cul de sac moved into one of the houses. He was also a customer of mine until this year when he decided that he wants to mow his own lawn. Thats fine.
    This spring I was set up to do a spring clean at his step moms house as I have done in the past. She called and cancelled stating that her stepson did it. (it looks terrible) OK.
    About 5 minutes ago, she calls and says that her stepson now wants to mow her lawn this year. The lady said that she is not sure if he is going to be able to stay with it because he is busy. (THE SOB is a LAWYER)
    I told her that it is certainly her right to have anyone she wants to mow for her but I had reserved a spot for her and I will now have to replace her. She said that she may call me if he can't be consistent. I said that she is welcome to call but I will have to charge her extra if she returns.

Now, not only am I fighting to keep customers from scumbags that are working for cash and not paying taxes and insurance. I am fighting lawyers that are doing it for free. I'm telling you that I am close to just doing spring and fall cleans and going full time into applications. But then again, even there I am fighting the unlicensed priks that are applying illegally. Time to get tough, this is costing me money and I ain't likin it.
    OK done venting, thanks for hearing me out.

2. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Charge her extra for what? Either you have time or you dont!

3. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

Why are you so upset? You are in a business that anyone from the age of 7 to 90 can do if they have the time and are physically able to.
    So many people on this site think that what we do is a talent that no one else has and shouldn't do. Get over it. YOU MOW LAWNS. We do not perform a service that is so specialized that it takes years of schooling and practice to get paid to do it.
    Sure, our results are probably better, but most homeowners only care that their lawn is cut when it needs it.

4. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

good point Lombardi. just goes to show you how competitive our society is. sometimes free enterprise sucks but what is the alternative? i shudder at that thought.

5. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

well said ,Lombardi

6. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you believe that dirty SOB, trying to do something nice for his stepmom :D

7. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Seriously what a jerk to wanna save his step mom money I can't believe that, who on earth would wanna do somethin for free for there family, LoL

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Then why the hell did he wait 2 years to do it?

Ya free enterprise and all that is great and yes all you may do is mow lawns but I do more. Its obvious to me that many here are just in it for other reasons than making money.

I got no problem with him helping her out, what I do have a problem with is that she initially committed to me to mow for her and now it has changed. Yes it is my problem and its money out of my pocket. This guy has lived there for 2 years and had me do all the work, now something strange has happened and he found the time. So now I should wait and not fill my schedule because he may get busy at the lawyers office and then I can take them back. KMA MO FO. If they want back in they pay more.

Oh ya Lombardi, I can't stand the packers and I live within fartshot of lamebow field.
    Now I have to go live up to all of your low expectations and go mow lawns like any monkey can do.
    I can see why our business is in such a mess with the kind of replys so far.

9. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ok now that you have been rude to this entire forum then I can finally say HEY quit feeling sorry for yourself and get off your azz and go get some more accounts, if you were getting cut for $30 a week and your brother said hey man ill mow your place for free then why the hell would you pay when he can mow it for free, dont take it personally that she cut you---just move on and dont look back also try not to attack the whole forum because we are here to help

10. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

people cant plan their life and it go according to schedule. job loss, major bill, medical bill, etc, etc. the list goes on.

kinda sounds like the conversation i had with my boss the other day about sick time. he is bitchin because i have already taken 4 sick days this year. am i supposed to PLAN my sick time periodically throughout the year?

and why didnt my company PLAN to NOT go into ch11 so i wouldnt lose my job.

but on a side note, i too hate the packers. like brett though. he is a trooper.