Scrub or not a scrub

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by plateau lawn care, Jul 27, 2005.

1. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

just wondering if you saw me on the street with a commercial w/b a curved shaft homelite a lowes husky backpack blower no weed eater racks all stuff inside the floor of the trailer and a 10 year old 21inch murray and cutting some crapy looking yard which wasn't my fault of it looking crapy just simply a junk grass yard would you tell yourself that I was a scrub

2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Not if you are doing a good job, reporting income, paying taxes etc. Mostly a good job tells me you are a pro.

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

What he said^

4. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Sums it right up :)

5. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

I don't have any weed-eater racks, my blower and line trimmers rest in the back of my truck and the mowers in the trailer. I do a good job, I don't put wb's on residential lawns and I am proud of the work I do, which in some cases is better than some of the guys who have all the amenities.

If your a scrub I'm a scrub. :rolleyes:

6. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

Just wanted to see who would reply this was me when I started but when I started I was incorporated in which means pays taxes, ins, etc. of course.. some of us on here i think may call people scrubs when actually they are a legite business because of what their equipment looks like

7. Jay's Lawncare

Jay's Lawncare LawnSite Member

I just don't understand what the big deal is with the whole scrub, not a scrub thing. It is evident, or rather it should be that not everyone gets to start out with top of the line commercial grade equipment, I know for sure I didn't. If you start out at the very bottom with the substandard homeowner equipment, and build up slowly both clientele and equipment, one tends to appreciate the growth process. I think 95% of the people here on lawnsite started their careers in a "scrublike" manner but now are too ashamed to admit it but would rather point the finger and post pictures of people who may have started out in the exact same way they did. Just food for thought and certainly just my two cents.....Jay

8. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

In the eyes of most of society, all of us are scrubs.....like it or not.

That's ok.....I have a degree and had a 16 yr corporate desk job. But I gave it up and am happy.

Life is too short, therefore happiness is more important than appearances or money.

9. Tombigbee

Tombigbee LawnSite Member

I agree with Jay.....Who cares??? I see many posts about Scrubs.....The quality of your work will always outlast anything else....

" Keep the lines straight and clean"

10. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I think the guys with the low-end set ups are the ones with the hang-ups I have about 35-40 k into each crew they are fast and look good. But I do not call people names who have not gotten that far yet I may smile at some of those guys like the one who rides his mower all over town like 5-10 miles no truck no trailer just mower wacker blower gas can and his lunch. I think he must be an alcoholic and lost his driver’s license but who knows. I had a small truck tonight come down a road where I was had a mower in the back and then after looking us over just seemed to take off not sure if we intimidated them or something or was jealousy. But that comes with anything I am very envious of the guys with the brand new 26,000 gvw trucks and the top of the line A300 bobcat skid steers but I know I will get there someday.