"Scrub" was under bid!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jlewis, Mar 25, 2003.

1. jlewis

jlewis LawnSite Member

Some of you may know that my primary side work is home improvement related. I was presented an opp. to cut my sister's yard after her LCO failed to show up. I was then presented with another sister's in law's yard to cut. I have been doing both plus cleanup for a year.

I was toying with the idea of a nice WB to maximize my efficiency and minimize my time spent cutting. Well, my sister just called and "fired" me! Seems her neighbors LCO will cut her 2 acre hill for $18 less than me! He also got the cleanup work.

Not a big deal to me. She wants it cut during the day / week and not have to deal w/ me in the evenings.

Thought you guys would get a big kick out of this!

2. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

As a matter of policy, I usually wont do this work for Family, Friends, AND Neighbors.

To me, it just tends to lend to complications, or strained relations somewhere down the road. We would all like to say if our sister fired us over $5-18, that we wouldnt give it a second thought, im just not convinced of it.

I have several related stories to tell.......
  3. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

No family, and no neighbors. Too many problems. If I do family work, I do it for free... easier to limit complaints that way.
  4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Well at least you have a good sense of humor about it. I too do not do any work for friends or neighbors. I would not throw family in the previous statement as that work is done for free.

5. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. Family work (and even sometimes favors for friends) is done for free.
    A friend of mine has a plowing business and he shares a lane with my grandparents. He told them he would charge $50 for plowing HIS OWN lane.
  6. jlewis

jlewis LawnSite Member

The rest of my family the work is a swap of service. They help me w/ drywall, I help w/ a roof etc. This sis has problems with family at times and insisted on paying me. Right now I am spread thin and her yard is a bi&*h! He wants it for $32, I have no complaints. What do I do when he refuses to come back next year like the other two LCO?? (Raise my rate!)

I am finishing up a basement job, have a quote out on another, need to finish up my own, and already have three other jobs on the books.

I have no hard feelings at all.

7. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I do family and friend work for free..that way when they complain I tell them Ill give them a full refund...usually shuts them up
  8. jlewis

jlewis LawnSite Member

I like that musselman. Does that include dumping the leaves back on their yard?
  9. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Dollars to dough nuts the reason you were terminated was your sister did not want you running around her yard in 'family time', evenings for some people are sacred and your mowing time probably interfered with it. I always poll customers to find their preferences and if they say out by 5 pm I honor the request.
  10. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I will not charge my family ANY money for ANY work that I do. The family is pretty close, and I feel that putting money into the mix would just make things awkward. Plus, I get fed WELL on holidays and other stuff... should I pay them for the time they spend making Thanksgiving dinner???