Scrub Watching

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Charles, Apr 1, 2001.

1. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Saw this lawncare? dude cutting a commercial peice of property with a toro Z. i was sitting at a redlight. All he was cutting was strips of grass with a 60". The he runs off the curb and gave the tall cement curb a good cut. My GF had to laugh at that. I saw him this morning again at a gas station cutting that in very damp conditons on a sunday morning at 730am(heavy dew). Anyone got any funny siteings?

[Edited by Charles on 04-01-2001 at 10:00 AM]

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

One of my competitors who I have mentioned before uses Scotts 20-48 lawn tractors. One of the disadvantages to these <i>fine</i> machines is that they don't have a limited slip differential. What this means is that if one tire is off the ground the other one won't drive the mower. On more than one occasion he and his helpers have been seen trying to get the mowers unstuck when they try to cross berms and other uneven objects that a commercial mower would walk over. And when he gets them stuck in mud it can be a real circus to watch.

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I enjoyed watching one of the local big boys crew (no scrubs) spray the other day with a good 20 mph wind. I assume they were spraying round-up since they were spraying grass in the beds and around paved areas. Can't wait until next week to see what it looks like. :)

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

This morning on the way back from church (had to edge the beds next door), I saw a new guy who gave the term Wide-Area-Mowing a new meaning. He had taken three 21" mowers and fixed them so the ran side by side like a gang mower does and then had another handle bar like a wide lawn sweeper or something to hold onto.

Next Sunday if he's there again I will take a photo and submit it here.

Lauged all the way home after I saw the persistance of that guy. I hope he doesnt find this site and realize the potential his contraption can gross. -LOL

Enjoy whats left of your weekend!
    Kris

5. linky

linky LawnSite Member

Last week i saw a homeowner vacuuming his just trimmed hedge! He was not using a shop vac but a hoover wind tunnel.LOL i wish i had a camera-say no to drugs!

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

My neighbor's not in the lawn care business, but he was using a shop vac in his yard to pick up his gum balls.

7. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

I would love to see the three mower set up...ohhh I started crying thinking about that!!!! I cant stop laughing...Are you sure that wasnt here in Indiana?

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Bob: Quote: My neighbor's not in the lawn care business, but he was using a shop vac in his yard to pick up his gum balls.

What exactly are gum balls? If it is what I am thinking of, we call those monkey balls.

9. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

One day last year, we just finished one of my jobs in a real nice development and as we where leaving we saw another "landscape company" pulling in. They where pulling a 4x8 trailer with a 36" bobcat. There vehical was a Ford Tuarus coop with a trimmer hanging out the back and 4 people in the car. It was the funniest thing, I wish I got a picture. I wish I had gotton to see tham work. They must have spent all thier money on the mower and didn't have enough for truck.

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

little green guy wrote:
    I wish I got a picture.

This might be a good time to suggest that we all carry disposable cameras in our trucks this year. LOL!

Hmm, then again, maybe this is a bad idea. I could end up on here myself!

Jonathan