Scrub!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProLawns, Aug 4, 2005.

1. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone scrub their mowers and equipment down periodically. I usually scrub mine about once a month to get all the grime off. I believe it helps us maintain that professional image. I even use armorall on the fuel tanks on my Z. And of course I scrub my truck at least once a week. :p Scrub!!!!!

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I clean my mowers up nice every other week. And my trailer too. If i had a truck, i would do that too! I do keep my dads truck clean thanking him for driving me to my clients since he won't accept money!

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

All mowers (WBs and Riders) get power washed every weekend. Trucks are washed and waxed as well.

4. FLS

FLS LawnSite Member

What a stupid azz title!!!

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I usually only get my equipment wet when it gets caught in the rain. However as things get older they tend to develop oil leaks here and there (engine, hydros, gear boxes) and the oil building up mixing with dirt and grass can cause cooling problems as well as be a fire hazzard! Now a few times a season I will use greased lightning on all the greasy or oily stuff and water to clean them up.

General cleaning, once a week or so is just air from the blow gun off the compressor. Still gets most of the build up and the less water you put on your equipment the better.

6. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

My mower's are washed every Friday!! Image, Image, Image...

It's just like grass. Do you want to mow every other week or easier to maintain once a week. I carry a spray bottle of Joy dishsoap, squirt every thing down and then rinse off and use my air compressor to blow off the water in tight spots(so doesnt rust).
    My WB is a 97' 36" Scag with aprox. 2700 hours, 2nd tranny, 2nd recoil, and tires.

www.cutinedge.com

7. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I blow mine off everyday but i dont really wash it down very much i would say i clean mine off every three weeks to a month. But when i do clean it i clean it REALLY good.

8. RKISTNER1

RKISTNER1 LawnSite Member

Blow the deck & filter ...wash & oh my god SCRUB-rinse=damn good lookin machine!.......standing good aught 2 b in hollywood. YUk YUK

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The truck and trailer, hmmmm, I wash and wax and armor-all the tires when I'm in the mood (at least once/year lol) but it takes an afternoon so what I like also is sometimes the high school kids got a carwash fund-raiser going on somewhere and I'll let them do it while I take a short break (most do a REALLY good job) then slip them 20-to-40 bucks (It IS a lot of work, even with 4 of them it takes 30 minutes so that's only $10-$20/hour).

One thing I found helpful is right after washing, use the backpack blower to power-dry the truck or trailer with air for a spotless finish - Get this: Car owners showing shiny cars for prize competition use this method. That and I use electrical orbital buffers to do the waxing.

I used to power-wash my WB's but it is not a good idea, it took some time for this to happen but eventually the HP nozzles strip paint. So today, I run the older one without much further ado, wipe off / spray off the grease / oil every once in a bit and use the bp blower on it as well. The new one, I wash it real good with a sponge and warm soap (dawn) + water after it's been run for a month or two and only when it's going to sit under cover for a while.
    Here's the thing:
    Too frequent washing isn't good, either. The dirt and grime buildup on the paint actually helps protect it from nicks and scratches to a point, my new Wb looks like a 5-year old after it's been run only a few weeks but wash it once and all the shine comes back out, and still looks brand-new.

10. RKISTNER1

RKISTNER1 LawnSite Member

WOW! Topsites iz smart! Kleen machines,Nice!