scrub

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bennet, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Bennet

Bennet LawnSite Member
    from NC

I have been following this forum for some time now but have not been participating. I am getting into the business so I thought it would be a good idea to participate. Everyone is always referring to "scrubs" in this forum. What is a scrub? and do they also participate in this forum? What qualifications does a person need to be a scrub?

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's my defention of a scrub

1) Lowballer
    2) Doesnt present him/her self in an acceptable manner
    3) No name on truck
    4) Cuts corners on work
    5) Doesnt keep vehicle or equipment clean
    6) Just an all around loser

But hey what the heck do i know :)

3. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

1. Doest Pay taxes
    2. Not Licenced
    3. Not Insured

4. bayoulawn

bayoulawn LawnSite Member

So, I have a title now? Senior Scrub?
    Just kidding.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

a scrub is a dumb word these guys use to describe people who are different from themselves. #1)lowballer=maybe his living expenses are lower, and he doesn't need to charge as much. #2)doesn't present himself properly= same as above. #3)no name on truck= so, maybe he's hiding from the irs. #4)cuts corners=they get what they pay for. #5)dirty truck=remember, you can't shine sh!t! this is dirty work. personally, when i see a nice shiny truck, and the driver has green teeth, it's a turnoff. #6)all around loser= how do you know. don't pay taxes? who the hell likes to pay taxes!no license? big deal, it's only a piece of paper. no insurence? insurence is a scam anyway, i wish i had the b@lls to operate without it. i ran for years with no insurence, the risk was my choice, and i have no regrets. the name of the game is makin money, if yur doin it with dirty pants, dirty shirt, and a rusty push mower, good for you.

6. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

scrub is a dumb word these guys use to describe people who are different from themselves. #1)lowballer=maybe his living expenses are lower, and he doesn't need to charge as much. #2)doesn't present himself properly= same as above. #3)no name on truck= so, maybe he's hiding from the irs. #4)cuts corners=they get what they pay for. #5)dirty truck=remember, you can't shine sh!t! this is dirty work. personally, when i see a nice shiny truck, and the driver has green teeth, it's a turnoff. #6)all around loser= how do you know. don't pay taxes? who the hell likes to pay taxes!no license? big deal, it's only a piece of paper. no insurence? insurence is a scam anyway, i wish i had the b@lls to operate without it. i ran for years with no insurence, the risk was my choice, and i have no regrets. the name of the game is makin money, if yur doin it with dirty pants, dirty shirt, and a rusty push mower,

I completly disagree with you, i work my butt off for my company and do quality work, i dont need some high-schooler coming in and knocking 5 bucks off my price so he can have some beer money, as far as making yourself and your company presentable, i dont think that its asking alot to present yourself in a manner that people respect, the fact is you'll get more customers with the clean truck and clean equipment then you will looking like some homeless fellow begging for change on the corner, and if you want to operate without insurance be my guest but one accient happens and the person you harmed can take you for everything.

7. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Well said bobbygedd. If you are doing quality work and keeping your customers happy then you shouldn't even be worried about the "scrubs" If you want to charge more money I feel you have to sell your services to the customer. If they are only basing their decision on price they most likely don't care what the finished product looks like. Personally I don't want that customer. Let someone else have them. I go after the customer that wants quality work. Yah it might take a little more to get the contract but it's worth it in the end. Besides most of the "scrubs" don't last that long in business.
    As far as the taxes and insurance, it's their gamble. If they want to risk someone getting hurt or the IRS catching up with them 5 years down the road so be it. I prefer not to gamble.
    I am not defending the "scrub" and by no means is my company one. I just don't think its that big of a deal.

8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

dobehap hit the nail on the head!:D

9. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

a scrub is a dumb word these guys use to describe people who are different from themselves. #1)lowballer=maybe his living expenses are lower, and he doesn't need to charge as much. #2)doesn't present himself properly= same as above. #3)no name on truck= so, maybe he's hiding from the irs. #4)cuts corners=they get what they pay for. #5)dirty truck=remember, you can't shine sh!t! this is dirty work. personally, when i see a nice shiny truck, and the driver has green teeth, it's a turnoff. #6)all around loser= how do you know. don't pay taxes? who the hell likes to pay taxes!no license? big deal, it's only a piece of paper. no insurence? insurence is a scam anyway, i wish i had the b@lls to operate without it. i ran for years with no insurence, the risk was my choice, and i have no regrets. the name of the game is makin money, if yur doin it with dirty pants, dirty shirt, and a rusty push mower, good for you.

DITTO!!!!!!! Couldn't have said it better. As for appearance, depends on what type of customer your looking for, everyday "Joe" couldn't care, "Joe Milloinaire" different story. Whatever makes you money.
    Adam FGA

10. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

I think a scrub is someone just doing this to get by or for beer/extra money with no intentions of building a successfull/longterm buisness out of it. Not everyone can put down the money for insurance and might not enough the first few years to have to pay taxes.