Scrubs over Exaggerated?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SouthernYankee, Apr 29, 2005.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

Ok sure, scrubs under cut you , they steal your accounts, you lose bids, it makes all of us mad.Your are a professional, you pay taxes, your insured, you know what your doing. You will be in buisness next season and those scrubs, they wont be. So is there much ado about nothing??
  2. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

You're right, there isn't too much you can do.
  3. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

We're 17 and 15 and we pay insurance to Uncle Sam, but according to a lot of you, we're scrubs. There isn't anything you can do about honest and hard working kids that price the jobs just as a lot of you would and do the same quality of work and get the job (even paying taxes).
  4. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

In your 6 years in "buisness" landscaping on Cape Cod, and while attending the U of Alabama getting a degree in history, didn't you notice that although last years new guys were gone, each year brought a fresh batch of guys that think they invented lowballing?
    History repeats itself every year.
    Did you take some business courses, or are you gonna teach full time and do this on the side?
  5. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

Who are you talking to?
  6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I think he is refering to Southern Yankee.
  7. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

When I had my buisness running on Cape Cod, I had to compete against tons of lowballers, but by being professional and doing quality work I retained my customer base and gained buisness.

Cape Cod is full of lowballers that were here today gone tomorrow operations. Many of these scrubs were actual legit operations that priced themselves out of buisness. My bobcat buisness was thriving after I left the cape for UA and I look forward to restarting my buisness up in Houston. My history degree at UA is soley for my own personal edification.
  8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Hmmm.... non-tax insurance??? :waving:
  9. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I admire your work ethic since you're both so young. Most kids your age don't have the drive or dedication that it takes to operate a business.

However, I do question whether the business is legal since both of you are minors. Most municipalities will not issue a business license to a minor and insurance companies wouldn't write a business insurance policy in the name of a minor.

Insurance underwritten by Uncle Sam? The only insurance policies that I know the government writes is GI life insurance and flood insurance.
  10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

How do we define a scrub? -
    1. is it because they charge less per acre? - I do
    2. is it because they have older equipment? - I run JD tractors that last for at least 10,000 hrs. (diesels)
    3. is it because they do a lousy job? - I don,t (there are LCO,s in Burlington Iowa that have been mowing as a full time job for 20 years or more, and they do not trim, they can not drive a straight line, they basically suck, and they ***** because I may have under bid, but we do very very quality work.) I happen to have the latest technology and my customers pay a fair price, and I make a very fair profit.
    4. is it because they have no insurance - I do.
    5. is it because they pay no taxes? - I do.

Am I a scrub - maybe - but let,s look at one bid this year - (Des Moines County) My bid was $1000, the next bid was $1020, and the next was $1060.

Am I really a scrub, or do I just use the new technology to make money.

In the Month of April, (About a 1/2 month) (We started some yards the 10th,thru the 15th.) my wife and I put on 98 hrs total on two JD tractors, and billed $7040. That is based on $22.50 to $25.00 per acre. My customers get a good deal, and I do too. Go Figure.