scuff marks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by doug lingle, Jul 24, 2000.

1. doug lingle

doug lingle LawnSite Member

I've recently bought my first hydro(love it),but if leaves round scuff marks when I turn sharp at the end of a pass, and when doing steep hills, any suggetion how to prevent it, do I keep inside wheel moving in reverse until turn is made?<br>doug<p>doug<br>linge@access2k1.net

2. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Do a word search on this subject; been alot of people asking this lately.<br>Basically you have to keep the inside wheel moving during the turn; I move mine backwards so that it doesn't turn on any one spot, thus tearing up the turf.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

3. kenneybros

kenneybros LawnSite Member

Belt operators give the machine a little yank backwards on the turns..... as for hydro ive never had the experience to find out. Just keep that inside wheel moving.

4. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Doug, Try slowing down some as you get to the<br>end of the pass, just fraction of a second<br>before your turn bring the inside wheel into<br>reverse, if you wait till you've started<br>your turn then the chances are you've already<br>torn up some turf. Get some more time on the<br>machine and I know you,ll get better! Just<br>remember we all do it sometimes no matter how<br>hard we try. Wet turf makes it very tuff when<br>making turns. Good Luck!

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Theres always going to be some type of mark(the tire must stop sometime between forward and reverse) I just do the perimeter cut last and it covers up any scuff marks.<p>Bill

6. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a simple one. It takes a while to get use to it, but at the end of a line, slow down and let the inside wheel spin in reverse almost the same speed as the outside is spinning forward. It will slow the turning down a bit, but it will leave less marks.

7. dhenegar

dhenegar LawnSite Member

What I do is cut my perimeter wide enough to give me plenty of room to turn(usually two passes if posible)then when at the end of a pass pull out enough to turn your mower 90' compared to your stripe, then reverse the other 90'. Its kind of like turning a regular rider. This may be a little slower but it works especially when the grass is wet. Just remember to always keep both wheels turning. Good Luck!