scythe anyone?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Smitty58, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at buying a scythe attachment for my stihl kombi and would like to hear from those who have used one. How good are they? Can one be used to cut a steep hillside? Is it easier in some areas than a trimmer? I love the kombi system and any excuse to buy a different attachment is what I'm looking for ,although I don't have money to throw away. So tell me ,worth buying?

2. ed's lawn service

ed's lawn service LawnSite Member

I've got the Stihl KM-110 with the 0-90 degree variable hedge trimmer head($200) and it works great for tall weeds. I think that the scythe attachment is actually shorter than the hedge trimmer. also the variable tilt of the head is really nice.:D hope this helps.

3. Smitty58

Thanks Ed, I have a yard with a steep hill that I was wondering if this could be used instead of a trimmer or fighting a 21". Do you use the hedge trimmer on tall grass?

4. ed's lawn service

ed's lawn service LawnSite Member

I have. I was doing a yard for a guy and he wanted an area mowed, but my 48" wb wouldn't mow it so I used the hedge trimmer. the weeds and grass were like three to three and a half feet tall. be careful that there aren't any wires or cables in the grass. although it will cut through wire, it dulls very quickly.:)

5. Smitty58

Ed, I bought the articulating hedge trimmer for my Kombi. It works great cutting grass on hills. I just stand at the top of the hill and run it across the ground ,no more risking life and limb on the side of a hill with the 21".