Sdi

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by hoskm01, Nov 28, 2011.

1. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

I got a sneak peak at this in person a couple weeks ago while at Hunter in San Marcos. Cool stuff, I like the concept. Have a project ready to go with this going down for a Tifgreen (dwarf bermuda) court.

Thoughts on SDI and Hunter's approach at root intrusion avoidance without Treflan?

Hunter Eco-Mat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

That seems like an advance, although it does point out that drip doesn't easily allow some of the more primitive system scheduling (old lady with an Imperial Valet) without root intrusion becoming more of a problem.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Wrapped tubing, maybe, for better water distribution, but the ecomat .... no way in hell.

A note. I just recently inspected some SDI (~2-3" burial depth) that had been in the ground for close to 20 years in a landscaped bed with shrubs and perennials. There was no visible signs of root intrusion on the outside of the tubing at the emitters, and this was verified after cutting apart the tubing at several emitters to check for root intrusion.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I would think regularly-scheduled watering leaves the roots less incentive to grow into emitters. I know from experience how roots can invade pipes and even sprinkler heads.

5. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I think the guy from "down under", autoflow? Posted something like this awhile back.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

My stomata buddies tell me:

DSCN2094brass.jpg

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

If Matt says that it is good, then it is good :)
    Sounds like a great concept.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Matt does know his stuff, but I trust he's smart enough to not put any untried and unproven product into service before field tests were done, especially at the level he's playing at.

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Somebody has to put it in service, for it to field test, not in production manufacturer test. I'm sure there will be pros, as well as cons. You live with them both no matter the product - RB, Hunter, RM, Irritrol, etc.

10. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

I'd like to put another brand next to this stuff and see what the diff is. It's been tried and tested (certainly not 20 years) but let's be real... A company like Hunter wouldn't release something like this without proving concept first.

The proposed project is personal at this point, but who knows where it could go. We cant get the majority of doofuses in the field to operate a spray head properly, how long will it take to get the GOOD word out about this stuff?

On a related "green" note, I'll be at this "green" expo/conference for the next two days, should anyone care to stop by! :)

http://www.icsc.org/srch/mt/descs/2011RGC/2011RGC.pdf