Sdnc Lawn & Landscaping

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by SDNCLAWNCARE, Jul 6, 2006.

1. SDNCLAWNCARE

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

I have been thinking about starting some kind of business over the last 5 years. I finally decided to start a lawn service. I live in Louisville KY. I have started putting money back so I can buy equipment over the fall and winter months, then start getting clients late winter/ early spring. I want a business that is debt free, and very professional. I'm a little nervous because there is so much to learn and much competition in Louisville but what the heck. I feel like professionalism and a hard work ethic will earn me business.

Steve

2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

welcome to ls and best of luck. the debt free plan sounds good. i wouldn't commit to jumping in with both feet at first if you have a family to feed, maybe hold on to a full time job as you build your client list. you'll find an extremely helpful (overall) group of people here. also, don't be afraid to use the search feature, as there is usually an answer already posted for whatever questions you have. i know i have learned a TON of good stuff here.

3. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Welcome to the site. As SNDC said above you can learn alot on here. When you start your business you'll want to become insured and registered. You will also want commercail equipment which cost more but lasts alot longer. Depending on you finances you will want:

4x4 Truck
    Trailer
    WB 36"
    Weed wacker
    Edger
    Blower

Some good brans to look at for mowers are:
    Bobcat, Hustler, John Deere, Exmark, Wright, Walker, Honda, Snapper. The last two for commercil 21" mowers.

For power equipment look at:
    Stihl, Redmax, Echo, Shindawa.

If you have alot of account that have big fenced in yards then get a 36"WB if not You can get a ZTR (zero turn rider) or larger WB (walkbehind).

For me the the perfect setup for just starting is:

4x4 Truck
    Trailer
    36" WB
    58-62" ZTR
    Weed Wacker
    Hedge Trimmer
    Edger
    Broadcast Spreader
    Blower

It all depend on your finances.

4. SDNCLAWNCARE

I agree with your equipment list. From what I have heard so far the 36" is the way to go starting out. I would love to get an Exmark down the road, but we will see what happens. Thanks for the imput.

Steve

5. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

oops I meant Smith. I'm glad you agree with my list SDNC. Its the best package for just starting out. Then alter on you can get yourself a ZTR. With a 36" you can service just about any yard which is great especially for those postage size yards with fences. If you have money I would get hydro since it out performs the belt soo much. Bets of luck to you, Kocaj Tree & Lawn Care aka KTLC.

6. SDNCLAWNCARE

I am still pluging away. Part Time, Insured, Paying taxes... I do love this work, but its alot harder than people think. Hopefully one day I may go Full-Time.