1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Golden Boy, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Golden Boy

Golden Boy LawnSite Member

Hey guys. What are your thoughts on Seafoam? Do you run it in your personal vehicles or just equipment? I have read about it a lot and hear some great things about it. What are the downsides? Would you add it to the oil or just the fuel? or both? I was going to start using it for my wifes car and my explorer. Both are at 80-90k miles. I want to start doing more to prevent any major issues from happening. I would rather plan on spending $10 then having to pay out $8 unexpectedly.:usflag:
  2. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

It does do something. I say that because whenever my 1993 pickup with 217,000 miles starts running a little crappy, it will run better if I dump a can of seafoam in the tank. Might very well do the same thing if I put in a higher grade of gas.
    There are people on here who say their equipment runs better if you put an ounce per gallon in the fuel, much like what happens to my truck.
    I do think any improvement you see is a temporary thing and you would be better off doing good periodic maintenance like changing air and fuel filters, spark plugs, distributor, etc.
  3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

It's a placebo...
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I started using it in all my two cycle fuel a few years ago. I was having problems with ethanol and someone recommended seafoam. I now use 1oz per gallon in all my mix and it helps prevent any more damage from happening. I also use it in addition to marine stabil when I put all my equipment away for the winter. I use the same 1oz per gallon ratio for stabilizing. I have also put it in the oil, the day before I do an oil change. I only did it with used equipment that I had just picked up and wanted to clean things out a bit.

I dont believe that it can actually solve any problems. It might mask certain things but isnt an actual fix. I do believe that it has benefits when used as part of a preventative maintenance plan. If you are going to use a large quantities, I would by the gallon jug or buy a case on ebay. I picked up 12 for about $80 shipped off ebay last year.
  5. JBNC

JBNC LawnSite Member

I have used it in my tahoe. Put it in the oil a little before an oil change, put some in the gas tank, and I also clean the top end by sucking some in through the vacuum hose. I do it probably every 20-25k. Helps it run smoother and it idles much better.
  6. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

I just use it when things don't start or run right. normally fixes the problem with bad gas, or a dirty carb.
  7. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Hmmmm...........another snakeoil thread......
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Posted via Mobile Device
  9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

10. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

Use the search function--you'll find a lot of opinions on Sea Foam.