1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sealed bearing ????????????

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnman_scott, Nov 1, 2006.

1. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

About how many hours do you get out of sealed bearings? I have an 04 exmark lazer with 2000 hours on it, and am wondering if I should just replace them now that it is slowing down here. It has sealed bearings in the casters, front forks, and spindles.
  2. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

My 2000 lazer has had 2 sets of spindle bearings and is ready for more. When the spindles roar so load you can hear them above the blades its time for new bearings. Looseness in the spindle shafts is another reason. I find moisture in my spindles. And its not from washing since I only wash them 2 or 3 times a year.
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

They are still tight, but I am starting to hear one of them. If I find moisture it wont be from washing either, I propably wash mine about 2 or 3 times a year less than you do. I do alot of mowing in the rain in the summer though.
  4. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

On your spindles if there isn't side play and they are quiet I would leave them alone. There is no guarentee that new bearings will hold up. Bearings are very inconsistent these days.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, agreed!

I replaced 3 sets in 2 years on a machine, now it's been that long since I've replaced any! So, anywhere from one season to several years, you never know but as a rule, I run them until they get to wobbling.

I'd go ahead and order a set or 2, so that way when they give out you have the parts in stock, that's what I do.
  6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

That would be something to have on hand but, I wouldn't replace unless there was some side play or noise.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

As much as I hate sealed bearings I have to agree with everyone here. If your budget can handle it you should just go ahead and buy 3 new spindles already assembled and ready to go. That way you are ready to go if one of your spindles suffers a catastrophic failure. Replace all of them if one goes bad.
  8. Greenfoot

Greenfoot LawnSite Member

Sometimes they get tight instead of loose which slows down your blades and makes noise. Time to replace.
  9. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I had a spindle die within 200 hrs. on a new mower. You never know how long they will last.
  10. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Toro w/ sealed bearings w/ just over 3k hrs. I replaced 1 bearing about 200 hrs ago. Keep one on hand. I've never had a bearing go from tight and quiet to totally shot over-night. Pay attention and it should give you plenty of notice, unless you hit a stump or something.