Sealed spindle bearings or greasable. Which do you prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnfella, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Lawnfella

Lawnfella LawnSite Member

I've always ran Scag equipment now I am stuck between going with a new Exmark lazer Z or a Toro Z Master. Toro has greasable spindles and the Lazer's are sealed. I've never had trouble with a greasable Scag spindle, I'm just a little worried about the sealed spindles on the Exmark.

2. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I like the sealed bearings for several reasons:
    Less Maintenance
    Manufacture can't say you didn't grease it
    Less cost, no grease to buy

I feel that sealed bearings are just as long lasting as greaseable bearings. In fact, you probably drove on some sealed bearings today.

3. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I have Scag and an Exmark. The Scag Cub has 750 hrs. and grease them with no problems. The Exmark WB has 1500hrs and has sealed bearings with no problems. Another Scag WB has about 300 hrs. and grease them with no problems. I was a little leary with the Exmark but I can't complain. Not to get off the thread , but why are switching from Scag? Matt

4. Lawnfella

Lawnfella LawnSite Member

I'm switching to Exmark or Toro because I don't get along with the local Scag dealer.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

There have been post in this forum about sealed bearing failing in spindles on some brand. The Scag spindles and pulley are very heavy duty as well as the clutch. We have in excess of 2000 hours without problems on both Scag and Snapper that have grease certs. On the other hand I have had to replace about 8 sealed bearing on the pullery idlers on various units...both Scag and Snapper....

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

yes. I made it home today because I had to have one replaced last month. $278 skins worth of sealed wheel bearing.

I prefer greasable spindle bearings because I can grease them every day (that I use the mower, or about every 8 hours). and on my LESCO, I do.

it only takes a minute and a squeeze of the handle to hear a little pop of air from the vent and you know you are good to go.

GEO

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

3 eXmarks with ZERO bearing failures.
    1 encore with NUMEROUS bearing replacements.

Most other mfg's have a better spindle design than my older encore. Regardless, I like not worrying about greasing them.

8. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

QUOTE=Lawnfella]I've always ran Scag equipment now I am stuck between going with a new Exmark lazer Z or a Toro Z Master. Toro has greasable spindles and the Lazer's are sealed. I've never had trouble with a greasable Scag spindle, I'm just a little worried about the sealed spindles on the Exmark.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know the difference between the Exmark and Toro’s spindles, but they wont compare to Scag’s spindles. Without a doubt I prefer the spindles that require regular maintenance compared to the non-maintenance type. I also prefer the cast iron spindle to the aluminum spindle.
    Non-maintenance spindles may last a long time, but with proper maintenance the serviceable spindles will out last the maintenance free spindles. There are some companies that have the grease zerks on their spindles but have maintenance free bearings inside.
    I would be willing to bet the reason a lot of companies have went to the maintenance free spindles is because the majority of the operators don’t take proper care of their equipment, thus causing premature failure.
    I have been in the maintenance field along time, and have seen this first hand.
    If you take proper care of your equipment then get the machine with serviceable bearings, or make them serviceable by adding the zerks and removing the dust covers from the bearings. If you don’t have time or don’t do regular service, then get the maintenance free spindles.
    Hope this helps!
    Jeff

9. sunturf

sunturf LawnSite Member

i would prefer the greaseable kind just due to the fact that every (x) amount of days you can take the tire, bearings off, clean and repack them..etc..a simple thing called p.m.'s or prevenative maintenance.

10. craglawnmanor

craglawnmanor LawnSite Member

Could this be the Scag dealer on Columbia Avenue? :angry: They are one of the reasons I'm going to Exmark this year.