1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sealing Natural Stone

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by MLMLLC, Oct 6, 2005.

MLMLLC LawnSite Member

Has anyone had experience using large boulders or large shale rocks in a water feature? We are looking at a job now where the customer wants to basically turn a natural shale/rock wall into a water feature.

A few items of concern:
    Will the constant water cause the shale to flake?
    Can an epoxy sealer prevent this?
    Is there a commercial cleaner available for cleaning the stone initially?
    Can the rock be bored run hoses/wires?

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.
  2. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know but am interested in what others have to say.
    There is a spray on liner that may work with your situation
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yes rock can be bored or drilled with an impact drill and a big bit,just don't drill in the cracks and seams in the rock and start with a smaller bit and work up to a larger one.
    You won't be able to seal the rock from water.It will leak and you will loose water.But you can put down a pond liner
    on sand and stack the rocks on top,I wouldent recommend shale though as it will probably sluff of and clog up the pump.It is a soft rock.You could take a few pic's and post them and that would help show what you have going on.Then mabey help you figure it out.
  4. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

boring shale almost always ends in disaster :cry: Try to avoid it.

MLMLLC LawnSite Member

The boring is not that big of a deal, we can re-route the pipes and wires. My main concern is the shale.