sealing terminology dif between Canada/US

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by seal4cash, May 21, 2008.

1. seal4cash

seal4cash LawnSite Member
    from ontario

Hi i came across this forum and i have read a lot of the sealcoating threads...there seems to be confusion about the terminology, when it comes to sealcoating between Canada & the US....
    Here in southwestern ontario the most commonly used term is driveway-sealing (as opposed to sealcoating) and the material of choice is oil-based liquid tar (i belive you guys fron down south refer to this as "gilsonite")....
    There has been lots of talk about adding sand to the mix....i'm not sure about the other materials but with gilsonite you DO NOT ADD SAND under ANY circumstances,as it will quickly destroy your $500 pump, that isnt made to handle sand....
    I'm sure the sealcoating you guys talk about in the US (agitation & sand) also exists here, but i'm yet to see someone actually doing it....the customers here have learned that having your driveway professionally sealed, means spraying the shiny stuff....
    It needs to be done every year, which is good for buisness....i would compare this to oil-spraying your car.
  2. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Coal Tar Seal An emulsified non-asphaltic by-product of the coal coking process which is sometimes used as surface seal. Subject to extensive shrinkage and cracking, normally not recommended unless mandatory for gas spillage resistance.

Fog Seal A spray applied emulsified asphalt seal that is used as a seasonal winterizer to protech asphalt cements. Usually consisting of soft-based SS1-H lasting only one season.

Seal Coats Seal coats or maintenance seals are generic terms for any of a number of surface coatings such as coal tar, filled asphaltic sealers, Gilsonite seals, etc., all aimed at protecting against moisture intrusion and raveling.

GilsoniteGilsonite is used as a performance-enhancing agent for asphalt mixes. Gilsonite can partially or totally replace, or complement, the use of SBS polymers in modified asphalts at a fraction of the cost. Gilsonite-modified asphalts have higher stability, reduced deformation, reduced temperature susceptibility and increased resistance to water stripping than non-modified asphalts. Gilsonite is also used to make both solvent-based and emulsion pavement sealers with superior appearance and weathering properties.

I do both, but there is no call for "seal-coating" driveways, due to price. Seal-Coating is reserved for commercial/condo's. In my town 150,000 population, there have been 5 places seal-coated in the last 2 years.