Sean, Help with Redundancy...

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by TotalCareSolutions, Jan 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Sean,

Can you setup an automatic e-mail that goes to every "New Member" and explains the search feature thoroughly. Possibly setting it up in such a way that they cannot start a thread until they have conducted at least 10 searches? Something that increases the profile of the search function and leaves the threads for some newer topics.

This could prove to be invaluable to newer members, helping them or mandating them to familiarize themselves with the Search key. It also may help to eliminate some of the redundancy in this forum at least?

Just a thought...

2. Kelly & Sons

Kelly & Sons LawnSite Member

If you don't like it, just don't read it... most of the time the subject line tells you what is in the post... so, if it is something that is redundant, or you don't want to read... just skip to the next topic.

3. TotalCareSolutions

My time is obviously more valuable than yours...

4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Almost every thread is redundant unless Bobbygeld is talking about what happened yeterday. My scroll key works fine.

5. Kelly & Sons

I highly doubt it... but, what is so hard about it? If you don't want to read it, just skip to the next topic. I'm sure there had been a myriad of times when someone searches for something, didn't find the answer they were looking for, so they decided to post about it...

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

If everybody did a search, there wouldn't be any posts by the new members. Since most topics have been discussed before already. Granted some topics have been beat to death and a search could yeild valuable information. I say if you don't like the subject, don't read it.

7. TotalCareSolutions

Is it that insane to try and steer "new members" to the search function? I'm not saying to censor, hinder, stop, limit, or otherwise permanently block a member. Simply add to the registration process an awarenes of the search function. I have come across several that were not aware of it. I truly think it will help alot of these ones with some basics. Anyone can still thread whatever topic they like and we may or may not see a difference, but we will have raised the profile on an excellent tool nonetheless.

8. TotalCareSolutions

Your that sure are you. Unfortunately, the evidence strongly suggests otherwise. Look for yourself, look at 2 or 3 pages in this forum and then do a search. I'd be willing to bet the converse is true and they could get some better answers by doing a search. Some very knowlegeable veterans used to answer the questions I am referring to, but are worn out by the redundancy.

9. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Would help cut down the storage on the server quite a bit.....

10. Kelly & Sons

Whatever, I'm not going to argue about it on my computer... you may be right...

"Arguing on the internet is like running the special olympics, even if you win... you're still ********."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.