search engine comments

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by volranger, Nov 3, 2004.

1. volranger

volranger LawnSite Member

Whenever someone asks a question can we please stop answering them by telling them to use the search engine. Eventually I am sure they will figure out how best to use this site. Most of the time when I do a search on a topic what I mainly get back from the search is people saying "why don't you use the search engine." Now about half the threads I get back from a search is some bone head trying to move up on his member status by putting up wasteful and bogus posts.

2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

kinda like this thread?

3. volranger

Typical "SENIOR MEMBER" response.

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I know which member from new joisey you are talking about.

welcome to lawnsite and GO VOLS!!!

GEO

5. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

:waving: Hi volranger

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

The "use the search" comment is both a good and bad one.
    Good because believe it or not, a lot of members are new to forums, and do not even realize that a search option is available. It is also good because there is A LOT of really good information that has been posted before, and if a member has already given out that information 5,10 or 15 times, more than likely they wont repost it AGAIN. So that's where the search engine comes into play.
    The bad part with "the use the search" reply is that new members get offended easily thinking that the "older" members don't want to be bothered with them. That is really not the case though.

7. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Use the search this has been brought up before. :p

8. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Do a search & see how many times this eXact topic has been discussed...

9. volranger

1,174 posts of wasted electrons

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

LOL! I hear that! I say the same thing sometimes, so I am one of the guilty partys. One reason it is said, and kind of like Jodi said, is that you would be surprised how many people come on, ask one of the VERY common questions, then when it IS answered, their next question is another one that has been answered several times over. Here's kind of how it goes...
    Member joins, says they are glad they found the place, yada, yada, yada....
    Q 1. I'm looking to get into the biz, what kind of equipment should I buy? I have a tractor now. Would it be worth it to find a good commercial mower?

Q.2. Walk behind or rider? I have xx to spend. What brand?

Q.3. How do I get work? How do I price? How much is this job worth?

Q.4. Can I make it as a business? Should I quit my job and go full time?

Q.5. How do I stripe?

Q.5. What is this "double blades" I hear so much about? Can I do this? Do I just put them on on top of each other? How do I do this?

Q.6. Do you guys do other work like shrubbery and stuff, too? How do you price it?

Q.7. Should I really charge a dollar a minute? Is this the standard pricing scale for the industry?

Q.8. How do I advertise? Should I run a yellow pages ad? Should I put flyers in mailboxes?

Q.9. I want to hire help. Do I have to pay taxes, insurance and workman's comp on employees like every other business and industry in the whole United States, or can I just 1099 them?

Q.10. Why don't people use the search feature more?

Anyway, Volranger, I would just like to say welcome to the site, and I'm sure you will find the info and most everyone here a great asset. It truly is a great place. Carefully read around the posts as well as into them to get the most out of them, and occasionally, you will come across a member like me that you won't learn a DOG gone thing from. Good luck, and I wish we all the best. I f there is anything myself or anyone else can help with, don't hesitate to ask. Oh, and a simple rule of thumb here, there really are no dumb questions here. (Although sometimes yuo can get some dumb answers - just read some of my posts!lol).