Search narrowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Oct 13, 2005.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Okay. My long boring lawn mower search is getting more narrow. I can't buy no big ztrs because my biz is not big enough or my lawns for that matter.

I like the toro t-bar design and have considered the one with a kohler and 36" floating deck w/ gear tran. Or a fixed deck w/ kaw twin ohv.

Or a quick 36 super duty.

Which has a more dependable engine?
    Easy to use controls?
    Good accesories?
    Good dealer support? Obvious
    Fixed or floating?

I need some advice on this. Any suggestions are appreciated.

At least I'm not thinking residential anymore. :rolleyes:

2. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I only know about the Toro. The one I have is a 52" hydro. Love the t-bar.

3. jgc8fan

jgc8fan LawnSite Member

Not really much use for a floating deck on a 36". I'd personally rather have the Kaw engine. I wouldn't buy a floating deck unless it's 48" or larger.

As far as the Quick 36... Don't have any experience, but everyone I've heard of having one loves it, and claims it will outperform any belt drive. I just wish it had some type of mechanical steering.

You could also consider a Lesco Dual hydro 36"... They sell for $3400. It has a kaw 15 HP v-twin. It does have pistol grip controls, but I'd rather have dual hydro with pistols than any belt drive. It's $900 more than the Q36 SD, but worth it IMO, and still cheaper than a $4000 Gravely which I think is the next step up in price for a 36" dual hydro. Don't know how much the Toro dual hydro 36 is (close to same as Gravely???)

4. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

buy a toro 36" fixed deck with either motor and never look back. Get the belt drive because they are easy to work on yourself and if its that wet for the belts to slip you should be home anyway. If your doing commercial work where you have to cut in the rain get a hydro . sounds like your just starting out and there will be plenty of time to buy more stuff later . I got mine in 1996 and just fixed the tranny for $50 myself[and help from restorob]. I have the kohler and its great but I have a kaw too. MONEY MAKER is what I call that baby. Want a better machine? get a 48" big difference in productivity .I can buy what ever I want for my lawns but a z is not needed for my 1/4 acre customers. I like that I have been able to fix minor problems and keep the mowers making money without down time. My dealer has most things in stock so check that out too. aSK YOUR DEALER TO THROW IN A VELKY once you have a piece of equipment and take on enough customers you become dependent on it to keep up . with no backup you better have a dependable machine!!

5. S man

Hmmmn. What about belts getting eat up from using a sulky? Is a hydro better for that? If I get a hydro I'm getting the quick because I need something affordable.

Can those pistol grips screw your hands up over time?

6. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Have never had a problem with belts. The T Bar is the way to go. Pistol grips are cramp city for some but not a problem for others.

7. S man

Maybe I should really test both to see if the quick would be good. Other than that I'm heading toro or exmark t bar or ecs.

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Love my ecs!! I didn't like pistols at all when i was testing them out choosing which one i likes. Ended up with the exmark (see signiture), awsome choice, and really awsome dealer support! Good Luck!

9. S man

Yours works great with the sulky? Is the exmark cosiderbly beter than toro or are parts and dealer support better? Exmark w/ ecs is on my list too. There's a dealer that is probably still running after katrina 20 miles away from n.o. I'm 9 miles to the west in kenner. My house is getting fixed up and there's lawns to do when we get our fema trailer closer to home. Right now I'm in yazoo miss. Not much here. Only a handful of lcos.

10. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

you know where I stand on the quick 36. and if you are serious. it may be possible to arrange a demo with someone in the area who has bought a quick 36. it is worth a shot anyway. gary would probably have a record of who bought what and where they bought it. have you thought about going to the expo? all the mower mfgs will be there, and you can try everything.

I have heard that the T-bar is the best for belt drives, and the worst for hydro drives.