"SEARCH" then ask...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toroguy, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I know many of you are going nuts with posts that read like this...

Hi Im thinking of starting a lawn buisness and needs advise...

First of all HALF of these are misspelled in the titles?

The other aggrevation is the posters never seem to stay around to contribute down the road. Names like: Fifth Wheel, SKEE, lickity, grassgrower, Primates, RSMedic, DaveinVa, remsen, rookiepa, weedkiller, kends, marcusvh, charrod all have vanished after requesting similar advice.

And the advice was good?

Take some time people and educate yourselves slightly on the topic you request information on before you request it.

I am more than willing to help those who are willing to help themselves first.
  2. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Funny....there are 21 matches if you type the word "search" in the search field.......therefore if you would have done a search on the word "search" than this post would not exist. JK :D

But your point on looking back on threads that you start is common courtesy.
    I think another is titling your thread with information that at least makes sense and lets everyone know what your topic is .
  3. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Not trying to disagree with anyone but i really don't see what the big deal is. Seems like theres alot more stuff out there to worry about than something as petty as this. Those posts never seem to bug me...i just don't reply and move on. There is much more for me to be concerned about then if whether or not someone used the search function on this site. Rambling off a list of 13 names of "offenders" seems quite useless.
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with pro turf, i just dont reply to the ones that have been asked over and over again.
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

well i encourage people to do search. i also encourage anyone who is a little shaky in the spelling department,to post you re question.spelling will have no bearing on my answer ,if i think i may be able to shed some light on the subject.
    i believe the education level is more varied in lcos than most any other field.so not all of us are going to have great command of the kings english.
    some post are tough to understand but id rather these folks post, than just lurk.intelligence,should never be measured by ones formal education.imho
    poster please dont take this as an attempt to put u dn in anyway. i try not ever get into that stuff.just my opinion on the subject u posted on.
  6. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Its the difference of two years of reading these posts vs. two months.

If I didn't put names along with the post it would give the impression I did not research it before I hit "post".

I appreciate the feedback, Im all alone in my dispair...
  7. laynlow

laynlow LawnSite Member

Like it or not, I think those posts are simply a byproduct of the internet forum exchange. They exist on every single technical forum or list server I subscirbe to, and they are not likely to dissapear.

Some folks are going to pose intelligent questions, other are going to ask reasonable questions, and some are just plain clueless. Some search and find their answers; we don't even know they were here. Others don't search, but when I think about how much information is now avaliable to me via the internet I am grateful to have it even if I need to sift through the occasional crap.

Its funny how technology makes things easy for us, but we still gripe. Remember going to the library to search the card catalog for a book on widgets, and then having to place your name on the waiting list?
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going to side with you on this ToroGuy. The spelling, wording, and not replying back after your question has been answered, are my biggest beefs.

Sometimes I wonder how some of these individuals actually run a business with some of the questions/spelling that they come up with! We all need a little help here and there, and anything that I do that may be of help to someone else, gets posted by me. But some of these questions/comments/stupid stories, are of no benefit to anyone but the poster that makes them.

What bugs me the most is when two questions about the same subject appear on the same opening page! Then you get people replying to both, and both originators dont respond!

Just about everything thats asked on this forum has been touched on in some fashion since Dec of 1999. Some topics were covered WAY more than others!

I'm all for reintroducing a topic here and there, but when that topic was just discussed yesterday, why ask it again?

Sorry if this offends anyone, but its just how I feel.

Results may vary.
    Use only as directed! :eek:
  9. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I too have been totally amazed/shocked at the TERRIBLE spelling on here. If I didn't know better I would have thought I was on a kiddy site, with 7 and 8 year olds doing the posting.
    I have wondered how they run a business with the poor spelling as well.
    Is that any indication of how their business is???
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, o.k., Tommy,
    So, what are you saying, that you have a problem with 25 threads popping up for a search term such s "pricing"? Or, is that Prysing?:p :D