Search vs. Ask question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hmartin, Feb 11, 2007.

1. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

How many people,do you think, search for an answer before they ask?

I bet that I read threads for 2 years before I ever joined Lawnsite. I learned a lot from reading old threads. I usually spend 30 minutes searching for a answer before I ask, but that's just me.

Do questions like--

Can I apply herbice without a licence? Can I apply weed and feed without a license? What is the exact spreader setting for some oddball fertilizer? Discussing pre-emergent failure without mentioning application rate? Which brand name of the same chemical is better?

Do these questions ever get on your nerves?

Is their any way to slow down or get rid of worn out questions?

Don't get me wrong, helping people is great, but I think some people want you to hand them everything.

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

hmartin

It is the nature of the Beast we call a forum. New people come each day and ask the same dumb question that was ask the day before. Finally half of them will realize the massive amounts of information here and learn to use the search feature. The other half will keep asking the same dumb questions and never learn a lot from this forum.

3. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Who cares! If you don't like a question Don't answer it. Is your time that valuable that you can't type a sentence??:hammerhead:

4. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

if you did a search you would see that this topic has been discussed a number of times recently :rolleyes:

5. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

There are no dumb questions.

However there are a lot of intolerant people.

I would suggest:
    a= ignore the question.
    b= direct them to search option.
    c= remember those who helped you and answer the question.

6. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

haha.

great answer, IMO.

I don't understand why people are offended by others asking questions that have already been asked. just don't answer if you don't want to.

many times you can search similar topics and not find the exact answers you are looking for. sometimes it takes an exact question to get the exact answer you are looking for.

7. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Alright, you got me there.

I actually did do a search last night when I made the post, and I got nothing. I cannot remember the exact phrase I used.

Today, I tried "dumb question" and got 9 threads in the history of lawnsite. "Repeat question" brought up 5 threads in the history of lawnsite.

Don't misinterpret my original intent. I have never (that I can remember) given someone a smart answer to a honest question, and I am definitely not intolerant. Also, I am not offended by any question.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to make the forum better.

Most forums that I visit have a few more stickys that seem to weed out part of the repeat questions.