Searching: 36" Commercial Grade rider

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Strawbridge Lawn, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

2 years ago I started with a Simplicity 34" rider that is still in use today, but showing some wear and I anticipated that. I am looking for a commercial grade 34-36" rider to replace it.
    This is my gated backyard and backup machine. It gives me the flexibility to rear bag, and tow attachments in those restricted access back yards.
    I know about walk behinds, but I am 40, 5 ft tall and weigh 105 with thick sox on. Thank you in advance.

Strawbridge Lawn
    & Landscape
    Virginia Beach, VA

2. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

I still think that a walk-behind would be fine for you. Go and demo an Exmark hydro in the 36 inch deck. There are plenty of small men and women that I see regularly running them with no problem.

3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Encore makes a 34" Zero turn rider. that would fit your situation. I think Dixon makes a 36" but I'm not sure if it's "commercal" grade. A 36" hydro WB with a sulky might be good for you.
    Does anyone know if Walker makes a 36" or is 42" there smallest.
    And I think Hustler makes a 37" Short-Cut rider. Then there is the Wright and Great Dany/John Deer Standers, I thinks they both make a 36" also.

And there are probalby a couple others. So you have several option.

I use a 36" belt drive with jungle wheels for my main mower.
    most yard around 5K-10K sq ft.

good luck with your search.

4. Strawbridge Lawn

Thanks for the replies thus far. Doing some research on the Standers now. Think the tractor widths on Walkers/Wright are wider than the 36" deck so I am hesitant about that but will research
    more and look at the deere.. Thank folks

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Dixie Chopper's 42" mower has a removable side making it accessable to 38" gate openings.

6. Strawbridge Lawn

I looked at the Stander 36" some time ago and really thought the width of the machine was greater than 36" like in the 38-42 range. I just got a spec sheet off the net and it states that the width of the machine is 36.5".. HMMMMmmm
    That is the closest I have seen thus far. The smallest Deere is a 48"
    Can these Standers tow an aerator or de-thatcher?

7. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I would not tow anything with a Stander if you have any hills what so ever. They are not made to tow. Too much chance of getting run over by the thing behind you if you step off. Just my thoughts. They really don't have the mass needed to pull something like that IMHO. But they are great mowers!!!!!!!!
    mike

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Gary, the 42" Chopper has the same hydro system that my big Chopper does and I pull my 2400 pound boat around with mine. I think the 42" Chopper could safely pull around anything you can put behind it.

9. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

You can get a 48 in walker through a 42 in gate all day you just have to manuver it really well. But I think you can buy a walker w/ narrow drive tires and a 36 in deck it will pass through all 36 in gates.

10. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

I believe 42" is the smallest tractor width for a Walker. Why anyone would buy a 36" deck to put on a 42" tractor is beyond me.