Searching for employees

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by thomaslawn, Jan 22, 2007.

1. thomaslawn

thomaslawn LawnSite Member

I am about to begin the search for a new employee for the 2007. Currently I have roughly 50 accounts, primarily residential which I need a solo employee to maintain. These properties are maintained utilizing a 52' Bobcat, a 21' Lawnboy and backpack blowers, trimmers, etc.

This is a route that I have been maintaining solo, and sometimes with a part-time employee when the route exceeds 80 clients. I work with a realtor so the number of accounts fluctuates, however I feel that a maximum of 50-60 yards is a good number for one employee.

I recently accepted a sales position which gives me the flexiblity to work from home 3 days a week. My lawn business is run from home, thus allowing me the time in the morning and evenings to get the equipment and day's schedule ready for the employee.

My main question is: Where has anyone had the greatest rate of success in finding and retaining employees? Newspaper, signs, etc? I am also putting the word out to friends, family, etc. Thank you for your help, I greatly appreciate it!