Searching for new employees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jlcservices, Oct 1, 2007.

1. jlcservices

jlcservices LawnSite Member

I have been in the business since 1999 and have running my company by myslef with some occasional help this whole time. I am looking to expand next year and hire two employees. How has everyone else begun their searches for new employees? Do you have any advice for someone new to this part of the business?

Thanks in advance.

2. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck good help is hard to fine. it takes 100 interviews to find one good helper. i've tried churches, unemployment offices, word of mouth and haven't found any one worth while. we require pre-employment drug screening most who apply can't pass that.

3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

yeh been searchin for almost a year and have got nothin so far...the ones i have found are to lazy. they work for two days and stop showing up. one i had sent me a text message at 3 am saying he wants to go work for neman marcus...

4. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Labor issues is probably the biggest hurdle to over come when growing a business.
    I have had good luck with newspaper ads, job fairs, and placing ads on school bulletin boards.
    This isn't full proof by any means, I myself have been through 172 employees since July 2001 to present. Like others, I mandate a drug screening, dmv check, criminal history check and the employee HAS TO write properly on the application. You wouldn't believe the crap I have received, from mis-spelled words to an application that was completely blank as the guy was functionally illiterate.

5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!lol. I went through over 150 aps last year, very time consuming and only the ones who filled out the application completley were called, and even then ZERO LUCK! This could be a good thing in a few years....maybe then people will see they need to pay more to get good service. I am looking for next year already and I thought I had 2 decent guys. They have yet to call me back after 2 phone calls. They were crying there was no work and they couldnt find work, well here it is but where are they!

6. screensnot

screensnot LawnSite Member
    from MI

I think that is a mistake. The kind of guys that make good lawnboys aren't always good at paperwork (fortunately they don't need to do much on the job), but can do the work you need them to do.

7. jcthorne

jcthorne LawnSite Member

The local spanish newspaper or radio station. Problem solved.

8. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

hahaha, too funny, I thought I was the only one having this monumental struggle finding a decent employee or two. Glad to see I am not alone.:laugh:

9. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I finally fired all the kids my age that work for me and i hired Rafael who doesnt speak english.

10. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

A mistake? are you kidding me? Sorry but my company is a little more important to me than just hiring a "lawnboy".