Sears Craftsman ZERO TURN? What ya think?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Mtngoat, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Mtngoat

Mtngoat LawnSite Member

What is your professional opinion of The Sears Craftsmen Zero Turn?

Is it sh*$ or does it shine? :eek:

Cost of the Zero turn is a bit more than the Better=name brand mowers I have seen for $1999. And you can ride on the Zero.

Ran into a guy using one yesterday.Says he likes it but you cant use it on Large grades.
    He was also repairing the deck assembly.
    One of the wheels under the Mower deck asssembly was not working properly.
    Now keep in mind I currently dont own any PRO equipment.
    I have been reading about various equipment and everyone that knows this business is telling me to get Pro equipment out of the gate.
    I see alot of small timers using Sears products to start with.
    Dont see why I couldnt get a nice little craftsman rider and have at it.
    :confused: :eek:
  2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like junk IMO.
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Don't bother. If (I really mean when)it breaks down, it will be sitting in the Sears repair center for weeks before they fix it. Their not going to give you any special treatment because you cut commercialy.
  4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Mingoat, the first year I was in biz I tried going this route. Wally world and sears JUNK, Not one piece of JUNK lasted 3 months. If I had the money I spent on this I could have easily bought one good commercial mower. If you are going to do this BUY THE BEST you can afford. Dont make the mistakes I did. here is list. murray rider, lasted one month, ryobi blower, lssted 2 months, poulan edger and chain saw, less than 3 months. homelite weedeater, 2 months, homelite blower, 2 weeks, you get the point?

Quality Lawn Care
  5. Wreak

Wreak LawnSite Member

I was at Sears on Saturday and asked about this mower and if it was considered to be a commercial grade unit. The sales person said that it's not supposed to be used commercially and if you brought it in for service and they found out that it's worn out more than normal then the warranty will go from 3 years down to 90 days.

I guess if they wanted to investigate the use it wouldn't be hard for them to find out that it's been used on 20 yards per day. LOL

The price seems a little steep for a residential 0 turn mower.
  6. Mtngoat

Mtngoat LawnSite Member

I came to the same conclusion. Seems pricey for a non commercial mower.
    How about the Husqvarna? Better machine ?
    Seems to be sturdier. Besides I like the Bright color!:eek:
  7. BladesAway

BladesAway LawnSite Member
    from Ok

I was planning on spending 3000 or so on a ztr. I looked long and hard for a ztr in my price range. I came up with a toro z255 with a 62" deck with 1270 hrs for a thousand bucks. I worked on it for three days and put about 200 more bucks into it and am very happy. I say stick it out till you find a deal usually in the winter you will find people getting rid of mowers cheap because they don't want to pay all winter on something they don't use.
  8. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

simplicity makes that mower for sears it is based on there failed
    attempt to make there first ztr back in 99 it is a p.o.s.
    do yourself a favor and buy from a dealer
  9. Mtngoat

Mtngoat LawnSite Member

To the point and harsh. I like it! lol;)
    Point taken, thanks for your input.
  10. DEA

DEA LawnSite Member

Try it for 30 days and take it back
    I looked at it also and it does resemble a Simplicity.
    I asked the salesman at Lowes about the Husky.being used on my hilly yard.He said if it didn't suit me to bring it back before 30 day's.
    That was before I started looking at the "real" comercial lawn equipment though.