Seashore paspalum turf grass - Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blades of Steel, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

okay, here's the question. Have you used or know anyone who has installed any sod of this type? My best friend is the superintendent of Bears Best (Jack Nicklaus newest course) in Las Vegas. He’s telling me this is the newest thing going. I am building a new home next spring and was thinking of using this new turf. Most of the new golf courses are using it. Please take a moment to look the link below and give me your thoughts. We all could learn something here….

http://www2.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/TM-1.pdf

Blades

2. Blades of Steel

No one has heard of this or what?

3. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Seashore paspalum's claim to faim is acceptable turf conditions with poorer quality irrigation water. It has been found to survive in high salt, high humidty, actually have ocean waves break upon a fairway, recede and the turf isn't damaged.
    I used it a bit under trial conditions in the Philippine's.
    What I didn't like was the appearance of the leaf tissue - too coarse.
    However, in the growing condition's I had, it was the best all around choice.

5. Blades of Steel

I live in Just south of Memphis the humidity is high enough to give it a try. However, you say it is a course/rough feeling turf? I was going to use it for my lawn after building my new home. I wonder what 3/4 acre of this stuff will cost me?

Blades

6. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

Blades,

Did you get a chance to look at the website I mentioned? It has a link to growers, some have websites.

7. Blades of Steel

Edge,

Looked at it briefly. Will do at lunch.

Blades