Season coming and big LCO are leaving

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Espacesverts, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Espacesverts

Espacesverts LawnSite Member

I just saw an add on internet of a big LCO that are going to auction. They arer located at about 1 hour of me. It's the second LCO's closing book in the last 2 years in this area. We have to ask why so much people are going out every year and what we have to do to stay in the market. As far as I knew them, they were not lowballer.

This is a quick list of the stuff is going to be for sale at the auction. As you can see, they were a serious company.
    http://www.encanteurasstalbot.ca/documents/PHOTOSEMBELLISSEMENTDUJARDINPDF.pdf

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

they sure have alot of equipment.

3. Tim Johnson

Tim Johnson LawnSite Member

Hard to tell why, owner could of got a good job offer when one of his clients. priced too low, lost a big client.

4. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I may be totally wrong about this, but here is my take on it.... The bigger LCO's do alot of commercial properties, at least around here. The only residential stuff they do is the high end estates that they get along with the entry way to the gated neighborhood.

Problem is...thats what they all want to bid on. Lots more competition. Maybe this forces bids down. Then on top of that, they have the ongoing problem with keeping labor. In my state, we have some of the toughest illegal immigration laws on the books. This has led to a smaller pool of workers.

Pile on fuel costs, insurance costs, and taxes....thats alot of pressure on the big guys.

Us little guys have it a little easier. All I need is my 40 properties (cut back from 60)....I mow alone, and not too many guys going after my little weed infested yards. You have to visit with the little old ladies too much for their taste.

So I think its tougher to be/stay big...maybe easier on the small solo guys. Just my 2 cents.