season long vegetation control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jlawnservice, Dec 27, 2007.

1. jlawnservice

jlawnservice LawnSite Member

what do you guys use for season long control that has worked well?

2. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

sahara dg -- spiked with a little glyphosate

3. jlawnservice

i ve used sahara but havent had good luck, seems to last a couple months

4. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I used it on fence lines at a couple of ball fields out of a back pack and was good for the entire season.

5. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I used Sahara, but it settled too easily in my tank with bypass agitation. Last year I used Pramitol at 5 gal. per acre and it worked well, but only lasted 1/2 the season. The rate was 5-10 gpa, so I'll try it again at a higher rate. It's kind of harsh on pumps, but I liked what I saw. Hyvar is another one to look at. Also, the settling of Sahara was enhanced with Glyphosate. Not sure if there is some incompatibility there or not, but something to consider. I would also not be averse to going with Surflan/Glyphosate. I think that works as well as many and there's not the "fear factor" of runoff. Good luck and let us know your results.

6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I used Sahara spiked with glypho. It lasted almost all season. I stress the word "almost". Think I'm gonna jack up the rate a little this year.

7. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I've used pramitol, it lasted the whole season, use it towards the high rate, and make certain there isn't any desired vegetation which the application can be translocated to. Also beware of trees with roots under the treated area.

8. jlawnservice

yeah i cant get the sahara to stay aggitated, i thought there may be a different effective chemical

9. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't you guys worry about heavy rains and the material moving into the wrong areas , ??

10. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely. These are products that should not be taken lightly. My uses are mainly tank farms and industrial sites. I have been approached about using them in areas surrounded by 'A' turf. No way. A local company a few years back used it on a baseball infield at a high school before a heavy rain (which they certainly can't predict...the whole point). It wiped out a good portion of the infield turf. This is one of the reasons I rec. Surflan/Roundup. It's nearly as good residual wise, without the headache.