Season of cheapskates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BRIAN GALLO, May 6, 2002.

1. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if it's just my area, but this year I am getting turned down left and right for work because of price. I've been getting a lot of inquiries about lawns, mulching, pruning etc., and when I give the price they don't go for it. Later I see some neighborhood kid doing the work instead! I'm giving out fair prices (sometimes too fair) and they still won't go for it. I'm sticking by the prices though, I'm not getting caught in the discount cycle. I thought maybe because of our current economic state, people might be tighter with the $$$. Anybody else getting this? :confused:

2. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Brian.. it is a little different for me this year... I am getting jobs with pricing that I would have never thought about asking. I just wish I could get out to drop more flyers/mailers. My problem is I am not getting grass cutting calls, I am getting mulch, bed install/renovation calls.

Good Luck!!

jf

3. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

I'm kinda running into that problem too brian, seems like they all think $26 is way to much and that they'll get some kid to do it, wasn't like that earlier this year, I just got back from giving an estimate to a woman who told me $30 bucks a week is to much just for a mow and trim and edgeing..... But she had a brand new infinity Q45 parked in the garage, still had the dealer plate on it, I just don't know sometimes...... But I won't come down in price, It just not smart to give the work away.... Jessus, These folks can see that I have a $5000 dollar mower in the back of the truck and $350 dollar trimmers, and I do nice work I'm in and our of thier yard in no time, you would think that it was worth $30.00 bucks?

4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Sounds like improved salesmanship is in order.

If you cannot convince a potential customer that your services are in their best interest, even if the price is more, then it time to invest in selling.

You'll always have low dollar guys, you can't beat their price, but you can beat their service and customer confidence.

5. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

The lady with the Infiniti,saying it was too much. Places where you have left bids and now see a HS kid doing the work.
    THEY GET WHAT THEY PAY FOR!!
    Like mentioned you have to SELL yourself first. Explain why you charge what you charge. Why they need YOUR service vs. the kid two doors down.
    It'll take awhile but you'll get there. :D

6. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

I had one like that today, The guy had a 3/4 acre lawn told me to mow and give the price to his wife who was home, I mowed trimmed, edged blew clippings off walks and went up to the front door to give the weekly price of 50.00, The lady of the house asked for the weekly rate and stated that last years lawn guy did it for 126.00 per month and then said she would have to run this one in front of her husband, My Question is where is the previous lawn service, Did they work themselves out of business due to low balling?:D

7. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Do people use house cleaning help in your areas. If so how much do they pay.

In my area people pay big dollars for house cleaning and complain about grass mowing too. It's really warped thinking. (maybe)

Kids used to cut lawns for a few bucks but they never cleaned houses for a few bicks. People always payed more for domestic help.

8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Hard to pay for lawn service when Lexus Payments or Infinity Payments are coming out of your $60K salary which = 40K after taxes.

They think they are rich when they hit $69K so they go spend a year's pay on a stupid car that depreciates like a rock.

Don't worry dude your service is worth $30. Infinity Gal is BROKE! Our minimum is $35.00 for any lawn cutting no matter how small.

Ken

9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I run into this sometimes too.

Usually the ol' "well, if the kid down the street doesn't have insurance YOU are responsible if he cuts his leg off or dings your Lexus" story does the trick. :D

It's mostly about selling yourself and your prices.

10. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Entrepreneurship

1. Confidence
    2. Integrity
    3. Common Sense
    4. Creativity
    5. Flexability
    6. Dedication & Motivation
    7. Education, Experience, & Expertise